Windows product activation after repair of XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• After losing network connectivity on my HP Pavilion, I followed HP tech support instructions to repair the (pre-installed) OS by booting with the OEM XP disc.  During the set-up process, I was prompted for the product registration key - which I entered from the registration sticker on the bottom of the laptop (double checked for accuracy).  After going through its routine, the computer re-booted to the welcome screen.  Before I could click on a user ID to launch any applications, I receive the following pop-up...

WINDOWS PRODUCT ACTIVATION

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. 

Do you want to activate Windows now?  Yes __ No

If I click on Yes, it cyles through to the same pop-up.  If I click on No, it will allow me to shut down.

When I reported this HP, they recommended that I completely reinstall the OS (which will erase all my data). 

Even if I reinstall, won't I still have to go through the activation process? 

The activation doesn't give me any options for activating later - over the phone - or over the internet.

How do can I activate the software when I can't launch any of the validation applications?

Thanks,

Dave 

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:19 PM

Answers

• Fbaum,

When XP activation files have been corrupted, quite often the XP installation will exhibit the behavior that you saw.  Try booting from a CD that will allow you to run the Recovery Console and run checkdisk, or from a hard disk drive diagnostic utility that will do the same thing, check the installed file system for logical errors and correct them, which may cure the problem.

If no joy, HP support is correct, you'll have to do a clean installation.  Use an offline (CD based) operating system such as the Ultimate Boot CD  or BartPE to run the computer and rescue your data before you do the clean installation.

Or, if your CD will allow, do a parallel installation of XP and use that to rescue your data, then do a clean installation.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:44 AM