Are we there yet? Mobile Device Sync? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have not looked at this for a few years and I am curious if the Sync framework now supports this. If I have a Windows Mobile device running a SQL Server 2008 Compact Edition database, can I sync that with a desktop SQL Server 2008 install with Sync Framework through the Active Sync/Mobility/Sync services on the desktop? (XP, Vista, Win 7, etc.?) Any examples?

Thanks!
    • Moved by Mahesh DudgikarMicrosoft employee Monday, November 23, 2009 7:22 AM SyncFx DB providers (From:SyncFx - General)
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:34 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:02 PM

Answers

• Sync Services for ADO.NET is available for devices. Please see this post for details and you can download the bits from here and there are some tips posted here for the device sync app.

If you need features from Sync Framework v2.0 (recently released for desktops), we are looking at the possibility of having a device release that enables the features from Sync Framework v2.0 onto devices.

Also what is the scenario you are trying to solve/implement? Is this app for your personal use or planning for an enterprise level solution/app?
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:22 AM

All replies

• Sync Services for ADO.NET is available for devices. Please see this post for details and you can download the bits from here and there are some tips posted here for the device sync app.

If you need features from Sync Framework v2.0 (recently released for desktops), we are looking at the possibility of having a device release that enables the features from Sync Framework v2.0 onto devices.

Also what is the scenario you are trying to solve/implement? Is this app for your personal use or planning for an enterprise level solution/app?
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Hi!

Thank you for your post--I will check out the links. We support a number of frieght companies who deliver packages to many stores (Blockbuster, B&N, Limited, Radio Shack, Williams Sonoma, Limited, Victoria's Secret, etc. just to name a few.) They use barcode scanners from companies like Intermec and Motorola/Symbol. Many of these companies do NOT carry wireless devices; instead they collect the barcodes throughout the day and then sync the devices by cradling them at the PC. Since the data is collected in SQL Server Compact Edition on the device, in the past, we have had to write our own extraction and transfer mechanism using RAPI. We would prefer to use something like Sync services to sync the handheld database to a SQL Server database in the desktop. Also, we may preload some data back to the device, so we would want to do this two-way. We would like to get out of the business of writing the plumbing.

So does this API support this? The devices are Win CE 5.0+ and Windows Mobile using the Compact Framework/SQL Server Compact Edition.

Thanks!

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:00 AM
  • You should look at the Sync Services and it can fit well. Please take a look at the link I sent out earlier.

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Thanks; I will...
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:28 AM