WHS 2011 - Move Folder wizard hanging at "Stopping sharing for the folder at the original location" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a new installation of WHS 2011 on my old Acer H340 WHS box. Everything is running fine, but I'm having trouble with the "Move a Folder" wizard. I'm having to adjust my layout since there's no Drive Extender and I'm still working out the best combination of folders/drives.

I've used the "Move a Folder" wizard successfully to move other folders, but when I tried to move my "Documents" folder from drive D: to drive E: using the wizard, it gets stuck before ever really starting with the message "Stopping sharing for the folder at the original location". After hours, the dialog is still displaying at 0% and there's minimal CPU activity. The share is a few hundred GB and perhaps 40,000 files (it had 700 GB and over 2,000,000 files the first time I tried it and I removed an obnoxiously large folder structure to see if the size was the issue, but no difference). I've tried this several time after attempting the cancel the operation, waiting several hours, and shutting the machine down (in an attempt to get it back to a normal state).

At the point it hangs, the "Documents" share is gone from the machine, but no files have been copied to the destination drive (the "Documents" folder has not even been created).

Any thoughts on what's wrong and how best to fix it?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:26 PM

All replies

• Having exactly the same problem. Any solutions?
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Having exactly the same problem. Any solutions?

I got myself out of this by

Turning off shadow copies for the sending and receiving disks. Probably only needed on the receiving disk.

Setting all shares for the folder being moved to off.

Worked ok then.

• Edited by Dave Mullard Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dave Mullard Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:30 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:30 PM