When will I be able to buy WHS software? RRS feed

• Question

• When will I be able to buy WHS software only - not installed on a PC?

My CTP version is showing an expiry date of August 12th . I don't want it to timeout before I get a chance to upgrade top the RTM version.

Ben

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:17 PM

Answers

• Just announced:

Windows Home Server for System Builders

Microsoft also announced that Windows Home Server will be available to the system builder channel, further broadening the scope of the home server product category. Using this version of the software, system builders worldwide will have the resources and flexibility to provide customized, targeted Windows Home Server products to meet the needs of a wide array of customer segments.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/may07/05-15WHSNewHardwarePR.mspx 

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Here is one more snippet, to ease concerns:

"In his keynote address here, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates indicated that Microsoft will sell "OEM" versions of the software to system builders. Microsoft's VanRoekel conformed that the software will be made available to shops like Newegg.com, where consumers will be able to buy a copy of the software with a token hardware purchase. However, VanRoekel said it was still "too too early" to release even ballpark pricing. "

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:44 PM

All replies

• There is serious consideration being given to this, due to the feedback from Beta testers. You might hear one way or other soon. Please stay tuned...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Dileep,

Hearing before August would be great.

Ben

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:26 PM
  • This is encouraging news, Dileep, especially because I've not been wholeheartedly inclined to implement, work with and test all the capabilities of Shared Folders with future product availability in doubt in my mind. Thanks.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Yeah, me too. I have already voiced my angst w/ the auto-expiration.  Quite simply? I am thrilled w/ WHS and hate to be w/o it.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Sign me up!  While not perfect this is an excellent first run at a growing niche market.  When it's available - I'll be purchasing it!
    Friday, May 11, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Just announced:

Windows Home Server for System Builders

Microsoft also announced that Windows Home Server will be available to the system builder channel, further broadening the scope of the home server product category. Using this version of the software, system builders worldwide will have the resources and flexibility to provide customized, targeted Windows Home Server products to meet the needs of a wide array of customer segments.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/may07/05-15WHSNewHardwarePR.mspx 

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:48 PM
  • That's Great news on a reat product, sign me up!!
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:58 PM
  • YEAH !!!
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:00 PM
  • Awesome, this is great. Glad they listened to the user base.

Dirk

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:49 PM
  • what kind of price will it sell for?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Er...does this mean I'll have to become a Microsoft Certified System Builder, register with a marketeer, and show production stats every quarter to continue to get updates?  That's my experience with marketing "channels" speaking...
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:13 PM
  • To me this doesn't indicate good news for us Beta testers or anyone out there that just would like the software to install on current or older hardware. If I read this correctly you are still going to be forced to buy a new platform, except now you can buy it from registered system builders.

"OEM software is only distributed when sold with specified accompanying hardware. When these programs are copied and/or sold separately from the hardware, it is a violation of the license with the software publisher, and therefore illegal."

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Hi

Here in the UK it is possible to purchase OEM software but you have to buy a piece of hardware with it, (or sometimes not even at all).

So, for example, an OEM piece of software plus a £0.99 mouse makes you a system builder!

Anyone in the UK who buys computer hardware from one of the biggest suppliers will likely know who I'm on about - eB****

HTH

D

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:21 PM
  • That's how Newegg handled my purchase of Media Center 2005. They threw in a power supply Y-cable to satisfy the hardware requirement. Hopefully the same will apply to WHS!
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Guys -

This has been discussed before.

A "system builder" includes someone who builds his/her own system. It doesn't have to be Dell or VooDoo. MS has stated many times before that the techie who builds his own systems qualifies as a system builder.

Purchasing OEM software means there is no tech support except from the vendor who supplied it. That's you. The WHS is designed to be pre-installed so the average person doesn't go through what we have with installation, setup, debugging, etc. That doesn't mean there will *not* be a software only version for techies.

Everyone's gotta settle down. There are no promises that come with beta testing. I've done dozens where all I got was a "thank you" at the end. I've also done dozens where I got the software for free afterwards. Either was okay. Beta testing is an opportunity to participate in shaping the direction, looks and functionality of a product - it's not a way to get something for free. In my experience, people who grumble the most about "getting something at the end" are those that participated the least. Wrong reason to do it :-)

MS will come out with the price and availability (to us) when it's ready. Until then, none of us have any inside information.

Half the fun is in the anticipation, right?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:28 PM
  • this is really great news!
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Please note that

"...."OEM software is only distributed when sold with specified accompanying hardware. When these programs are copied and/or sold separately from the hardware, it is a violation of the license with the software publisher, and therefore illegal."

does not specifically refer to a "computer" - OEM "stuff" has been available for years with an HD, Floopy, PC Board, etc. as the qualifying ware.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Paul Thurrot of WinInfo Update reported from WINHEC this week:

"Gates also talked up Windows Home Server, the Windows Server version shipping later this year for multi-PC households. Windows Home Server will be available with special home server hardware from PC makers, such as Gateway and HP, and in a standalone software version for enthusiasts. Windows Home Server provides PC backup, media sharing, and Web browser-based remote access functionality and appears to be an amazing product that should be of interest to the more than 40 million people worldwide with multiple PCs and broadband Internet connections in their homes."

See complete article here: http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/96069/windowspaulthurrott_96069.html

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:03 PM
  •  AJROCO wrote:

Please note that

"...."OEM software is only distributed when sold with specified accompanying hardware. When these programs are copied and/or sold separately from the hardware, it is a violation of the license with the software publisher, and therefore illegal."

does not specifically refer to a "computer" - OEM "stuff" has been available for years with an HD, Floopy, PC Board, etc. as the qualifying ware.

Windows Vista OEM is perfectlly legal to buy through retailers here in Sweden without any hardware what so ever. This workstation is running Vista OEM Premium bought as a standalone dvd, nothing else purchased.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:19 PM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:
    Windows Vista OEM is perfectlly legal to buy through retailers here in Sweden without any hardware what so ever. This workstation is running Vista OEM Premium bought as a standalone dvd, nothing else purchased.

The same is true here in the USA. Although this "qualifying hardware" requirement used to be around, it was removed some time ago.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:25 PM
  • "Microsoft also announced that Windows Home Server will be available to the system builder channel, further broadening the scope of the home server product category. Using this version of the software, system builders worldwide will have the resources and flexibility to provide customized, targeted Windows Home Server products to meet the needs of a wide array of customer segments." 
    Google "microsoft system builder" and check out the first few entries...seems like I just answered my own question.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:07 AM
  • I do wonder though whether OEM software (like Vista Premium OEM for instance) installed on a home-made (or other existing) computer, is then tied (once installed) to that particular machine (similar to what it would be if you purchased a complete OEM machine with installed OS), or will such an OEM operating system be allowed, later down the road, to be removed from that initial machine, and then reinstalled on a new (different) machine? And if this is so, will WHS OEM software similarly be tied forever to the initial machine it is installed on?

- Art...

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:14 AM
  • OEM Software is usually tied to the machine.

With Windows XP you could move it to another computer - I work for a company which builds PC's and as long as our companies string was in the BIOS then it would install from 'our' recovery CD.

I believe that Vista OEM will only ever work on the machine it is registered against so this may be the same with WHS - you'll be able to expand it with HDD's however if you have to swap out something like the mainboard then it's a conversation with Microsoft to request a new registration key from them - which I guess is fair enough.

Then again, they may do a retail version which would get around this.

Either way, it's good news we don't have to go out and buy a complete new box we will be able to upgrade our current setup to the full version or build our own box and install it!

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Fantastic News.  Only had it installed 3 days and I'm sold.  Had no isses with installing on eother the Server or Clients (but probably becasue I got a later beta build that you guys had already contributed to - thanks!).  Would really like to keep running with this.  I think it's good for recycling too - in a way.  Just upgraded my PC which meant I had a load of components looking for a new home.  They would probably have rotted in my Garage and eventually contributed to landfill but now I get to put them to good use.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:49 AM
  • Here's what Gates actually said, "We'll also have a version of this Home Server SKU available to system builders, so people who put together custom systems even in quite limited volume, this software capability is something that they'll be able to load onto it."
    It's consistent with the marketing blurb that Dileep provided earlier, and consistent with my assessment that there won't be a "home enthusiast" software release.  To get this, you'll have to be a registered (and regulated) Microsoft channel partner.  Go look at the process - it's designed for those who sell their products - not those who will be setting up their own home server.

Please prove me wrong...I want to believe WHS will be available without having to buy another box full of stuff I already have...but I'm losing hope.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I think its officially the same line with copies of other MS OSs but in reality most big etailers sell the software providing you buy  a bit of hardware like a mouse with it.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Well I guess we will just have to wait and see - hey maybe the WHS team will feel sorry for us beta testers and just ship us a copy
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:29 PM
  •  Technogeez wrote:
    Here's what Gates actually said, "We'll also have a version of this Home Server SKU available to system builders, so people who put together custom systems even in quite limited volume, this software capability is something that they'll be able to load onto it."
    It's consistent with the marketing blurb that Dileep provided earlier, and consistent with my assessment that there won't be a "home enthusiast" software release.  To get this, you'll have to be a registered (and regulated) Microsoft channel partner.  Go look at the process - it's designed for those who sell their products - not those who will be setting up their own home server.

Please prove me wrong...I want to believe WHS will be available without having to buy another box full of stuff I already have...but I'm losing hope.

Party crasher!

Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I think this is going to have to be a wait and see

... you couldn't walk into PC World, etc and buy OEM Vista but you can buy it legitimately off the web

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Here's a portion of an article from TechGage:

"Microsoft has two distribution models for the product.

1. A tightly integrated hardware/software solution from system manufacturers such as Dell and HP.

2. Software available for system builders and technology enthusiasts."

I've seen this same thing in other articles. We'll just have to wait and see.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Here is one more snippet, to ease concerns:

"In his keynote address here, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates indicated that Microsoft will sell "OEM" versions of the software to system builders. Microsoft's VanRoekel conformed that the software will be made available to shops like Newegg.com, where consumers will be able to buy a copy of the software with a token hardware purchase. However, VanRoekel said it was still "too too early" to release even ballpark pricing. "

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:44 PM
  •  Dileep K wrote:

Here is one more snippet, to ease concerns:

Thanks Dileep for the quote, this couldn't be more clear. I think this will finally put an end to all the concerns raised here in the forum

Dirk

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:42 PM
  • BIG sigh of relief...thanks, Dileep.  I'm happy to be wrong.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Does this mean we will be able to upgrade (and preserve our data) with the release version?

I'm just concerned the retail version will only be for fresh installs.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Doesn't mean it will, but it doesn't mean we won't! What it does mean, however, is we will be able to buy the software to install it

It was been said that there should be no need to reinstall. Personally I would always do a clean install of RTM software over beta software, you can never be certain what might get left behind.

Gordon

Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Great news!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:05 PM
  • I for one am def breathing a long sigh of relief!
    MS certainly has a winner with this software.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Fellas,  I am not sure what all the worring is about. Very rarely have I seen a Microsoft Product not available to users such as ourself.

You can purchase WS2003, XP, Vista etc. etc. I would doubt that WHS would be any different. Yeas, we may have to buy a hard drive, floppy or something along those line. But isn't that worth it? 

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:23 AM
  • I think that if WHS is not available to "enthusiasts" then MS will be doing itslef out of a whole load of sales!  How many of us on this beta would NOT be buying WHS if it was available a) as software only, b) as an appliance?  Loads of people have hardware good enough with maybe some RAM and more disk space.

This is great software, just what a large part of the marketplace wants and its easy to use.  Even better there are add-ins becoming available that provide sensible extensions to the base product.

Personally, I'd like to see a shared calendar function and anti-virus, but pretty much everything else is covered already, at least for me.  Look and feel has improved and almost all of the user feedback has been incorporated to make a product which can be installed and maintained by almost anybody.  Now all we need is a "loyalty reward" from MS for all of our hard testing and a discount on our WHS purchase.......

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:46 AM