Disk Management RRS feed

• Question

• Why in the WORLD does WHS start the data shares on the second partition of the first physical drive shared with the C drive??? It means you have data mixed in with the o/s and can't separate the two. No way to replace your C drive if needed without the possibility of losing some of your shared storage.

Is there a way to force all files off that partition in the shared physical drive to on of the other drives dedicated for data storage?

Also, why does windows only report the size of that partition when you link a shared drive? I have two terabytes of storage, but the first physical device is a 300 gig hard drive. With the massive 20 gigs allocated to the OS partition, all my lnks show 258 megs and show always full even though there's a ton of available space in my shares.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:13 PM

Answers

• There is a Drive Balancer utility to force data off the system drive.
    • Marked as answer by bbotz Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:52 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:59 PM

All replies

• Why in the WORLD does WHS start the data shares on the second partition of the first physical drive shared with the C drive???

Because this way, even if you only have a single drive, you have somewhere to store data.

It means you have data mixed in with the o/s and can't separate the two. No way to replace your C drive if needed without the possibility of losing some of your shared storage.

Just enable Folder Duplication for all of your shares and you shouldn't lose anything.  Besides, even if you don't enable Folder Duplication, you can still connect that drive to another PC and extract the data from it.

Is there a way to force all files off that partition in the shared physical drive to on of the other drives dedicated for data storage?

No, but if you start with more than 1 drive and have at least Power Pack 1 installed before adding data, it shouldn't land on the primary drive anyway.

Also, why does windows only report the size of that partition when you link a shared drive? I have two terabytes of storage, but the first physical device is a 300 gig hard drive. With the massive 20 gigs allocated to the OS partition, all my lnks show 258 megs and show always full even though there's a ton of available space in my shares.
    If you are referring to mapping a drive to a share and you see numbers that don't make sense (and/or symbols), that's normal.  It's due to the way Drive Extender combines multiple drives into a single storage pool in the background.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:09 PM
  • There is a Drive Balancer utility to force data off the system drive.
    • Marked as answer by bbotz Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:52 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Where can I find the drive balancer utility?

(edit: never mind... found it with a web search. this look EXACTLY like what I wanted. I noticed, as did the writer, that the new drives take less of a load. I have 2 750 gig and 2 1000 gig drives. The 1000s are new and have < 10% of the system load. The 750s are older and have 99% capacity. This balancer looks like it will help me a) move data off the landing zone on the main drive allowing me to replace (as it is much older drive), 2) balance the existing data load. Thanks Evaders99 for the tip!!!!)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:21 PM