none
Disable sticky threads? RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed many of the forums have a lot of stickies. I don't need them, and I find they take up a lot of room. So I though it would be a good idea to have an option where the user can disable a checkbox "Show stickies", say. (It would be checked by default so new users can see them). Good idea? Any chance of it happening? Let me know!
    Thanks.
    Hobbyist programmer: VB.NET, C++, Pascal
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:45 AM

All replies

• Open them once.  Then click Unread.  Or use My Forum Threads.
    Hans Passant.
    • Edited by nobugz Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hans I like you're answer of using "My Forum Threads" I hadn't thought of that one :-)
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I think the original question is justified and hasn't really been answered by either reply.

- Clicking unread means you don't see any of the threads that you have once looked at but which have had replies in the meantime.

- Using My Forum Threads means that you can't concentrate on the threads in one particular forum. 

(In my case I work the forums by first thing in the morning going to every single forum in turn and only then using My Forum Threads to keep me aware of what is moving during the day.)

I'm aware that Hans with his experience is aware that his suggestions are just workarounds, and I would like to see the original suggestion (of an on/off switch that a user can select for *read* - I would add that so that (new) unread stickies are still shown - stickies that they shouldn't appear) be taken as a serious one. Some forums have 5 or 6 sticky posts at the top which on this 13.3 inch Mac Book for instance doesn't leave much space for many posts with questions.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:32 PM
  • No, the Unread filter shows threads with unread responses.  It was broken for a while in My Threads but it looks fixed with the last release.  I use my browser's bookmarks to open all forums I frequent with the Unread filter already turned on (URL + ?filter=unread).  The only sticky posts I've looked at for quite a while are ones that got a response.  I don't like Unread, but that works well.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:11 PM
  • You're right of course.

I shouldn't assume.

This of course means that they are aware of which threads you have once looked at but which have have replies since you did, so - going back to an old request - why can't they signal this in the standard forum list.

- Bold - not read at all

- Italic - you've read this but there are new messages since you did

- Normal - you've read up to the latest message in this thread.

Obviously it's doable, so why don't they do it?

Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:35 PM

I shouldn't assume.

This of course means that they are aware of which threads you have once looked at but which have have replies since you did, so - going back to an old request - why can't they signal this in the standard forum list.

- Bold - not read at all

Mike, We do exactly that since the 4.0/MVC release.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:57 PM

I shouldn't assume.

- Bold - not read at all

I was wondering what the italics meant.  There shouuld be a key somewhere, easy to find.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:14 AM
  • >Mike, We do exactly that since the 4.0/MVC release.

Face extremely red ...

My mind must only be able to pick up Bold or not Bold.

(Slow down mind and smell the roses).

Thanks Rob and thanks for the non-sarcastic reply :)

(Goes back to admire the number of italic posts)

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:14 AM