File & Printer Sharing and general stuff RRS feed

• Question

• I have OneCare installed on 6 PC's, 1 fixed PC at home and 3 fixed PC's at our office (we run a very small business) plus two laptops that travel between the two locations/networks.

Firstly it bugs me that I have to buy two separate subscriptions and not a single one for 6 machines (or more as required). I think many homes would have more than 3 devices they wish to be connected/protected.

Now in Beta 2.0 (which was installed till yesterday on one laptop) it talks of groupings of one care machines into circles. I think this should be bigger than only 3 devices!

Because I am across two networks I need to print in both locations. Under the currect released One care I just plug in my laptop wherever I am and file/printer sharing works well. BUT with Beta 2.0 I cannot file or printer share at all with any machine right now. Though we are told that it will work in a circle. But this is Beta, and I am not really happy about installing on all machines and there are more than 3 machines involved, too big for one circle Sad 

The zone public/ work/home is marked as suspended and will not change in file & printer sharing Sad

I had to remove the beta 2.0 in order to be able to print.

Of course, nothing is ever simple and I also "share" my two networks across the internet using Hamachi so I can print and file share remotely if required.

If Onecare Beta 2 does not change and is released as is I will have to move to another product for AV etc, this I do not wish to do!

Regards

Martin

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:54 AM

Answers

• I was also having the same trouble!! When you go to Onecare> settings> firewall>Advanced>network settings,

HIGHLIGHT the area you want to change ( ie "Local Area Connection" and then hit "Change Location" button to scroll through choices.

The interface is NOT instinctive but I have seen screens like it before. Scroll to "Work or Home" and if you check the "Configure Firewall" settings, you should see the updated changes!!

Hope this helps

DaveXPb

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin

From the Settings>Firewall>Advanced>Network Connections, please mark the network you trust as "home/work". Please let us know if that does not resolve the problem for you.

Thanks

Neeraj

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:07 PM
  •  

Hi Neeraaj,

No, will not work. The zone was marked as PUBLIC and there was no option of changing it for network Hamachi.

The network for HOme and the Network for my Office were both already zoned as Home/Office.

File and Printer sharing option was always marked as 'suspended' and no option to change it anywhere.

Cheers,

Martin

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:41 PM
  • I was also having the same trouble!! When you go to Onecare> settings> firewall>Advanced>network settings,

HIGHLIGHT the area you want to change ( ie "Local Area Connection" and then hit "Change Location" button to scroll through choices.

The interface is NOT instinctive but I have seen screens like it before. Scroll to "Work or Home" and if you check the "Configure Firewall" settings, you should see the updated changes!!

Hope this helps

DaveXPb

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:01 AM