Drivers for WHS - Dell Optiplex 210L RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

My main question is that I can't for the life of me find any support or evidence of how your determine if Windows Home Server has built in drivers for the "old" computer you may want to install on.  The one I'm thinking of using is a 4 year old Dell Optiplex 210L (3.0ghz HT, 2gb RAM 10/100mbs Integrated Network Card).  How do I know if the integrated network card is supported or if there are drivers for this machine?  I must be missing something, because I'm so accustomed to finding drivers for XP, Vista, 7 with absolutely no problems.  However, if I google or research "drivers for Windows Home Server Dell Optiplex 210L" or "Will a Dell Optiplex 210L run Windows Home Server" or "list of supported computers for Windows Home Server" I find absolutely nothing, notta, zilch.

What am I missing?  How do I know my network card will work?  This is somewhat important before I go and  spend $100 on WHS, wouldn't you agree?  Can anyone help please?  Thank you very much for reading and I can't wait to get a response, thanks!

J.R. (Ferrari)

P.S.  I've considered purchasing an OEM BOX like an Acer Aspire EasyStore w/ WHS, HP's WHS, or ASUS' WHS, so any thought on those vs. my Dell Optiplex 210L is much appreciated as well.  Thank you for your time.

J.R. St. Louis, MO Professional Geek =)
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:39 AM

All replies

• Hi All!

My main question is that I can't for the life of me find any support or evidence of how your determine if Windows Home Server has built in drivers for the "old" computer you may want to install on.  The one I'm thinking of using is a 4 year old Dell Optiplex 210L (3.0ghz HT, 2gb RAM 10/100mbs Integrated Network Card).  How do I know if the integrated network card is supported or if there are drivers for this machine?  I must be missing something, because I'm so accustomed to finding drivers for XP, Vista, 7 with absolutely no problems.  However, if I google or research "drivers for Windows Home Server Dell Optiplex 210L" or "Will a Dell Optiplex 210L run Windows Home Server" or "list of supported computers for Windows Home Server" I find absolutely nothing, notta, zilch.

What am I missing?  How do I know my network card will work? 

WHS is written on top of Windows Server 2003, so you want to use 2003 drivers.  If you can't find Server 2003 drivers, XP drivers will sometimes work as well.

This is somewhat important before I go and  spend $100 on WHS, wouldn't you agree?
    All you have to do is download the 30-day trial to find out if it will work or not.

Can anyone help please?  Thank you very much for reading and I can't wait to get a response, thanks!

J.R. (Ferrari)

P.S.  I've considered purchasing an OEM BOX like an Acer Aspire EasyStore w/ WHS, HP's WHS, or ASUS' WHS, so any thought on those vs. my Dell Optiplex 210L is much appreciated as well.  Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Thank you very much. That will help lead me in the right direction.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:41 AM
  • Oh, I almost forgot.  I think I have found the driver for the integrated network card in the Dell Optiplex 210L now.  (Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network)  How do I tell if WHS automatically installed the driver?  Or, is it even possible to install drivers once the install completes?  How does that all work?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:54 AM
  • So long as you can get the drives for your Hard Disk controller and start the Windows Home Server Install, it it simplest to install drives once Windows Home Server has been installed by using either the CD's that came with the computer or using downloads of drivers (from another internet enabled computer) copied to USB/CD.

Using Device Manager you can tell if drivers have been found for hardware - normally you will see a list of device classes as a tree view, this shouldn't be expaned when the window is presented to you.  If there is a problem the tree will be expanded at the location of the problematic device, the most common problem on a new install is a driver has not been installed an item may be displayed as unkown and there will be a yellow exclamation mark.

There are plenty of guides on the web like this to help you get familar with installing Windows Home Server (bing or google is your friend):
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2236189,00.asp

However, the best way is just to play and break stuff - just remember whilst you are learning don't put your data at risk. 

Good luck,

Al

--
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Ohhh, so it's just like in normal Windows Environment?  I'm extremely familiar with the device manager and all.  I was under the impression WHS didn't provide a GUI accept for the Console you install onto the other computers in the house. 

bing or google is your friend

Yes, lol.  I was on them for about 3-4 hours before I posted.  I think I've done most of my searching on the OEM boxes though that don't come with a vga port, so I assumed there was nothing to work with on the actual server once it's installed.  (I had a traumatic experience with Ubuntu 9.10 Server)  Everyone and their brother recommended it to me and told me how great of a server it was.  After the install I was left a blinking cursor.  When I asked what I do next it was "sudo" this and "apt get" that.  I was like, WHAT? haha...  Hence, looking into WHS once I heard of people adding files with a GUI. =)

I'm lucky if I type msconfig, diskmgmt.msc, or regedit correctly.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Generally you should do 'everything' from the Console.  However, in some cases you just have to use remote desktop to get something done.  Windows Home Server is targetted at the OEM so they would do all the configuring before and end user gets their box.   After initial system installation if you have to go into the console to get something done then you should be very careful what you do - using some components can break WHS without warning - that's why the advise and supported methods use the console.
    --
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Thank you very much.  After some more thought and research I started to realize that.  I think like suggested before I'll probably do a trial run and configure a minimal setup to see how things go on the Optiplex 210L.  After that I'll make my decision to buy.  You guys were so helpful, thank you.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:03 PM