Shadow Copy Error Message RRS feed

• Question

•  From time to time the event viewer on my WHS displays the following error message:

Time: 12:0105 AM     Source:  VolSnap     Category:  None  Id: 393241  User: N/A  Machine:  Server

The message at the bottom of the event viewer for this error is:

" The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\1Z were deleted becaujse the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied"

I'd like some help in discerning the significance of this message and what, if anything, should I exactly do about it?

Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:12 PM

Answers

• Michael J Weldon said:

From time to time the event viewer on my WHS displays the following error message:

Time: 12:0105 AM     Source:  VolSnap     Category:  None  Id: 393241  User: N/A  Machine:  Server

" The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\1Z were deleted becaujse the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied"

I'd like some help in discerning the significance of this message and what, if anything, should I exactly do about it?

It means that WHS could not create new Shadow Copies on that volume (usually because it has to delete old ones and write new ones at the same time).  However, Shadow Copies (aka Previous Versions) do not work correctly on WHS without some hacking/tweaking anyway.  You can safely ignore that message.  But if you want to disable Shadow Copies completely, please see Brubber's first post in How do you permanently disable shadow copies on WHS?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:36 PM

All replies

• Michael J Weldon said:

From time to time the event viewer on my WHS displays the following error message:

It means that WHS could not create new Shadow Copies on that volume (usually because it has to delete old ones and write new ones at the same time).  However, Shadow Copies (aka Previous Versions) do not work correctly on WHS without some hacking/tweaking anyway.  You can safely ignore that message.  But if you want to disable Shadow Copies completely, please see Brubber's first post in How do you permanently disable shadow copies on WHS?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.  However, now you've piqued my curiosity regarding hacking/tweaking shadow copies so that they work correctly (I was unaware that they didn't and might not care if they do at all) but can't stand not knowing.....could you elaborate please?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Michael J Weldon said:

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.  However, now you've piqued my curiosity regarding hacking/tweaking shadow copies so that they work correctly (I was unaware that they didn't and might not care if they do at all) but can't stand not knowing.....could you elaborate please?

Please read How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares for more details.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:24 PM
  • brubber said:

Please read How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares for more details.

7+ months and counting.... ;)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Ahhhhh.....Getting old is a ____!

I KNEW I had read something somewhere sometime about shadow copies and file shares and recovery and arguments and warnings about breaking stuff and lions and tigers and bears...OH MY!

Thanks brubber and kariya21.  Yoy're always there when I need you!
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:56 AM