Help please. Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS wont boot, i just get "Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"

I have tried disconnecting / reconnecting cables etc with no luck, if i swap the disks over i get "no boot records found" which i presume is correct as the other drive is storage.

Both HDD are seen in BIOS, i have tried reseting BIOS to default, still no luck?

Any ideas please, i have a lot of precious info on the drives i cant lose

Many Thanks
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:36 AM

Answers

• It does sound like you have a corrupt boot disk.

Firstly your data should be safe (assuming the entire drive isnt corrupted).

You could try running a server reinstallation to repair it, but if it is a faulty drive you may want to consider replacing it.

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:16 AM

All replies

• It does sound like you have a corrupt boot disk.

Firstly your data should be safe (assuming the entire drive isnt corrupted).

You could try running a server reinstallation to repair it, but if it is a faulty drive you may want to consider replacing it.

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Thanks, im going to remove the drives and back them up if possible before attempting a reinstall. hope fully the drive is ok (only 2 months old)

ive since discovered we had a power failure, may be that caused it.

Cheers
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:22 AM
  • My WHS wont boot, i just get "Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"

I have tried disconnecting / reconnecting cables etc with no luck, if i swap the disks over i get "no boot records found" which i presume is correct as the other drive is storage.

Both HDD are seen in BIOS, i have tried reseting BIOS to default, still no luck?

Any ideas please, i have a lot of precious info on the drives i cant lose

Many Thanks

My self-built server started doing this exact same thing on July 28 as well.

I was setting up to reinstall the server so I had the WHS DVD in the drive.  I missed the BIOS prompt to hit a key to boot from DVD (my four-year-old was "helping" me) and guess what, the system booted.  I removed the DVD, shut down and tried to start up again.  I received the message about disk read error.  I powered down, put the DVD back in, didn't press a key to boot from DVD and the server booted.

This is a pretty odd coincidence.  I really don't think my system drive is bad, per SMART for what that's worth.  Whatever is going on with my server appears to be directly tied to having the WHS DVD in the drive and allowing the system to boot from HD instead of DVD.  Your BIOS may not work exactly as mine but it's worth a try before you replace that drive.

After my server started I RDP'ed into the machine and saw that there was a new Windows update applied.  It's an update for IE8 on Server 2003.  I don't know if this is related to the issue or not.  It really doesn't make sense to me.  My server had been running fine for quite a while.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:01 PM