Can Excel 2007 read SQLexpress data by connection SQL command tied to Excel cells without VBA? RRS feed

• Question

• Background: I have Excel 2007 and SQLexpress on my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop to analyze data from a third party program.  The third party program used to have long pauses to write the data directly into Excel, which produced wonderful charts through pivot tables.  The third party program now runs extremely fast sending the data to SQLexpress.

Issue:  Is there a way to tie a WHERE clause in the connection SQL string to a cell in a worksheet?  I would like to create multiple connections to perform the SQL queries and populate Excel with data fast instead of slowly writing every cell.  {Workbook connections, Connection Properties, Command Type: SQL, select * from "automod"."dbo"."WorkerData" where runid=6    <==How do I replace the '6' with a link to an Excel worksheet cell?}

I've worked with macros and VBA, but want to keep this application simple and easier for others to maintain.

Thank you, Douglas

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this is Windows SteadyState Forum, please contact Office Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As this is Windows SteadyState Forum, please contact Office Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Thank you Leo.

I looked for the office forums, but did not know to look under the 'TechNet'...     (Seems Microsoft has a unique site mapping strategy.)

The post is moved and this will be deleted here once you receive this thank you.

Thank you, Douglas

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:43 PM