One care is red if I want to manage updates myself RRS feed

• Question

• Why does one care shows red if I want to apply updates myself. I had problems with updates before and I want to apply only if I find them neccessary.

How can I change settings so that it does not shows red?

Why do companies want to control users so much?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:57 AM

Answers

• I really should have kept one or more of my replies to this topic to save some typing.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

-steve

p.s. I'm saving this reply now as a boilerplate response, so thanks for asking the question.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:01 PM

All replies

• I really should have kept one or more of my replies to this topic to save some typing.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

-steve

p.s. I'm saving this reply now as a boilerplate response, so thanks for asking the question.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:01 PM
  • So instead we all live with OneCare constantly at red-alert status. Now we must ignore the windows update prompt (because we have 25 windows open and there's no way we're letting this thing reboot overnight!) and we also now ignore the red onecare light. So I have this fancy software that constantly nags me.

Thanks,

Henry

PS: Take tone as sarcastic, not hostile. You seem to offer really good support here - not afraid to be critical of the product at all.

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:14 AM
  • No hostility taken. :-) And thanks for the kind words.

Well, the nagging has some logic in that you are not fully protected if you haven't installed an available critical/important update that enhances the computer's security. If this isn't something you can live with, then unless and until they make this part of OneCare more intelligent, you're either going to be showing a red status at all times, or you should consider an alternative security solution. Honestly, despite its simplistic view for updates, I think it is valid for most users to force the automatic setting.

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Like many others I cannot have the PC rebooting itself after an update installs, so I am 'living' with the annoying red icon and having to check status every day. 

Would it not make more sense to:

A) default the settings for Automatic Updates for those users who do not pay attention but allow this to be changed by more sophisticated users? ~or~

B) let the Auto Updates run, but do NOT reboot the PC automatically, just flash an annoying message that will let us properly save & close any applications running.

MS is violating their own recommended procedures by doing this reboot without prior closing of applications.  After the third time I had to recover MS Outlook, I turned the updates off. 

There are better ways to handle this for all types of Users, Shame on MS for not thinking this through.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 6:41 AM
  • I had set the option to download the update and then I will install myself.

In that case I just get a notification that update is ready to install and I will do it once I am ready to do it and check which updates i want to.

Just by displaying it red, I don't know that icon is red because of automatic update setting or because of something else.

Thats annoying.

Fix flaws in applications, don't make customer suffer because of your flaws. Design a software which is customizable to different level of users. Atleast if I have options then I can just go and change the default settings and enjoy.

------------------

Any how, my one care expired and I decided not to renew it.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 6:09 PM
  • i need to know also dont want exp 7 but you know .how can we stop this

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:44 PM
  •  dukes10n wrote:

i need to know also dont want exp 7 but you know .how can we stop this

You must install IE7 as it is an important Security update to your system. If you choose not to, OneCare will continue to report that your PC is at risk - which it is.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:40 PM