File numbers not the same RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SyncToy V2.0 on Vista Ultimate.

Doing an Echo between two folder pairs.  I note that the folders after a sync has completed do not have the same number of files in them (I never delete anything in the folder being echo'd to).

For example:

Source folder : 9,789 files, 539 folders

Destination folder: 9,672 files, 539 folders

What is going on - aren't they supposed to stay in synch?  I want to be sure EVERYTHING comes across in a synch.....

Regards

Barry

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:12 AM

All replies

• I am struggling with this too. I have been using SyncToy for over a year  on three computers and a number of folder pais. I see some differences growing between the folder pairs. I am wondering whether I can really trust SyncToy. But I have been checking some of the differneces out lately with the help of TreeCompare by Brian Friezen http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen. Most differences are caused by thumbs.db and desktop.ini files. A very few remaining difference dont effect me very much. So I tend to be satisfied, but still some uncertainty is there.

What I would like very much is, that when I have been maintaining folder pairs with echo for some time, that the windows properties of the pairs are exactly the same. Period.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Hi, Barry and King8nl,

King8nl is right - SyncToy does not sync thumbs.db and desktop.ini. This is because these files auto-generated by Windows for particular folder or desktop. To sync them to different folder/drive would make them out-of-context. So you would see differennces on the file count.

But if you see other files not being synced on Echo, can you share some more details like:
    - timestamp on the file that weren't Echo'ed - and how does that time compare to the time Echo was kicked off
    - did the folder pair options include "Check File Contents"
    - anything special about the missing file - are they system files, marked hidden or auto generated some how?

thanks,
    Sameer
    • Proposed as answer by Sameer[MSFT] Monday, February 2, 2009 7:03 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:02 PM