Virus or hard drive failing RRS feed

• Question

• A friend was surfing some Chinese web sites and then my computer when crazy and now I get a window saying "smart failure predicted on hard disk" Maybe it is a coincidence, but I wonder if a virus wasn't picked up causing the hard drive error message. I have run 2 full scans with One care with no virus reported. In your oipinion, might a virus be causing my computer to give me the message about a hard drive failure?

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:33 AM

Answers

• Although anything is possible I have not seen a virus do this. I would first go to the hard drive manufacturer website and download and run their drive diagnostic software. If the diagnostic software concurs that your drive is not healthy I would backup your data and consider replacing the drive. If the drive diagnostics show your hard drive as healthy I would try a few different online virus scanners to see if they can detect something that perhaps One Care missed and then contact One Care support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, August 1, 2008 1:42 PM