Upgrade evaluation to license version - during reinstall, will it affect Power Pack 3? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using the evaluation version of WHS and I'm going to purchase the OEM license.  I've installed the beta of Power Pack 3 on the evaluation version and it is working fine.  When I do the reinstall, will it mess up my current server settings since the OEM version only has Power Pack 1?  Or will it leave Power Pack 2 & Power Pack 3 alone?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:10 PM

Answers

• When you reinstall with the system builder media, setup will reformat the C: partition. So yes, it will remove Power Pack 2 and 3. You will be able to reinstall Power Pack 2 by using the Update Now... button in the console, but Power Pack 3 beta will have to be reinstalled manually.

See this FAQ for more information.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:57 PM

All replies

• When you reinstall with the system builder media, setup will reformat the C: partition. So yes, it will remove Power Pack 2 and 3. You will be able to reinstall Power Pack 2 by using the Update Now... button in the console, but Power Pack 3 beta will have to be reinstalled manually.

See this FAQ for more information.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Thanks Ken!  That's what I figured.  As long as it doesn't affect all my current data, backups, etc. then it really isn't that big of a deal.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Sorry but I'm a bit confused.  I'm also using the evalution copy.  Will I have to re-install the complete OS?  I assumed the MS would just send me to a MS site to buy the full version and provide a new key.   Would a new install delete my data?  Thanks....any feedback is appreciated. 
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Rob, please read the FAQ I linked above.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:12 PM