Question about storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi just new to this forum and a newbie.  I've got a Dell 8400 3.2 2gb memory with 3 SATA hard drives.  One is 160gb and two 1.5TB that is mirrored to one (Probably over kill for WHS)  My question is I don't want to combine my 1.5TB mirrored drive into whs.  I'd like to keep it seperate and just save my files example movies, music exc.  I can enable it to share and all my computers see the drive.  Everything is great.  But I can't access the files over the internet.  Is there another way to access the files or adjust some settings?  Or am I better off to combine the hard drives?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:26 AM

All replies

• Using the Windows methods to share folders is not supported and will not work with Internet access to shared folders as provided by WHS.
    RAID is also not supported (is it hardware or software RAID btw.?).
    What is your point to have not the data disks as single drives, add them to the storage pool and enable duplication for the shared folders as needed?
    This will take almost the same function for the data - it will save your data against total loss in case of a failing disk.
    But will not (as RAID also does not) save against other risks of daa loss, such as user mistakes in data handling, or loosing the server total to overvoltage, fire, water, theft ...

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:45 PM
  • My recommendation would be to copy the files off the RAID array, break the array, and let Windows Home Server manage the drives. Then copy everything back and turn on duplication for all shares. By letting Windows Home Server manage the drives, you're increasing compatibility and reducing the chances of a bad (potentially very bad) experience should you need to reinstall due to e.g. OS corruption.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for all the input and good info. 

My RAID setup was hardware.  The reason I wanted to keep the raid drives seperate was that if I wanted to reinstall whs, I didn't want to lose the data.  Another reason was if in the future wanted to move the drives to another computer I still had that as an option.

If there are ways around this I might be reconsidering and adding them to the storage pools.

Just another question if I add the two raid drives to the storage drive, will I lose my files on the existing 160gb drive that is in the storage pool now?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:49 AM
  • No WHS dynamically expands the size of the pool leaving any data there intact
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:29 AM