Software Issues What were you people thinking when it comes to financial tools such as Money 2003 and MSN Money RRS feed

• Question

• I am truly discussed with a consumers ability to move into newer software versions and not being able to used backed up files to carry forward accounts and balances from a much older version of software to a new version so I could keep the records I already have without having to create new accounts and retyping all that information into the new account. I am truly wanting to know where your heads were when Microsoft decided not to continue with Microsoft Money and go with MSN Money and not allow us consumers to used our established records for the transition.This seems to be a contradiction to the purpose of having computers.  I simply have the old version Microsoft Money 2003 and wanted to move into a Widows 7 pc and found that for that fact alone I could not restore my backed up files from Microsoft Money 2003 to create my new MSN Money accounts and continue forward with the current balances as I have them now. This seems to be a defeating purpose to the idea of having a computer to make our lives easier. I am truly wanting to know why tools like Microsoft Money 2003 and MSN Money were not more compatible when it came time to move into the Windows 7 pc and MSN Money programs? I would like to have kept my records and balances as they are on my old pc.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• You can move your US Money 2003 file to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset,  but you may have to go through the Money 2005 or Money 2004 trial as an intermediate step. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us

PocketSense can be used to get end-of-day quotes. This is not to say that the MSN Money's intraday and other info is not useful too. Microsoft Money is still a good way to track your basis and transaction info. It can fill in your Schedule D info. So you might want to consider using both.

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:16 PM
  • What's the problem with running Money 2003 on Windows 7 ? 

Regarding where my head was when Microsoft decided not to continue with Money ... it was on top of my shoulders from what I remember <grin>.

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:43 PM
  • What's the problem with running Money 2003 on Windows 7 ? 

I think the problem is for those using Windows 7 64-bit and not for those using Windows 7 32-bit versions. The Money 2005 trial can run on 64-bit and can serve as the intermediary in going to Money Plus.

I opted for the 32-bit version of Windows for compatibility with existing software.

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:58 PM

• I think the problem is for those using Windows 7 64-bit

Another good reason to avoid the 64-bit hype on the desktop.

Do earlier versions (ie those prior to 2005) not run correctly when installed on Windows 64-bit then ?

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Do earlier versions (ie those prior to 2005) not run correctly when installed on Windows 64-bit then ?

As I understand it based upon posted experiences, Money 2003 and earlier don't run on 64-bit. It's not that they run incorrectly. ;-)

I am not sure about Money 2004.

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Thanks. 

I'm still on 32-bit as I have no reason to run a 64-bit OS. 

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Interesting to check the Windows 7 Compatibility Centre ...

It states that Money 2000 is not 64-bit compatible but Money releases from 2002 (version 10) onwards are.

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hmm... Thanks for that. I don't feel confident in where the changeover was.  I guess ScottCO75 didn't actually say that he attempted to install Money with his Microsoft Money 2003 installation disk on his new computer.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:13 PM
  •  I simply have the old version Microsoft Money 2003 and wanted to move into a Widows 7 pc and found that for that fact alone I could not restore my backed up files from Microsoft Money 2003 to create my new MSN Money accounts and continue forward with the current balances as I have them now.
    I would like to have kept my records and balances as they are on my old pc.

Install Money 2003 on Windows 7. Then copy your Money data file to your C:\Users\<username>\My Documents in Windows 7 and open it in Money. You may need to remove a read-only attribute first.

Do not restore the Money backup. That is just security in case your primary Money file is damaged and cannot be opened.

If you have ever set a password on the Money data file, be sure you know it. You will need the password to open the data file on any fresh installation of Money.

If the file will not open it may have been damaged and you will need to repair it. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/22.aspx.

Monday, August 1, 2011 10:41 PM
  • 16-bit code cannot run on 64-bit Windows because no 64-bit Windows version has a 16-bit sub-system.

Only because Microsoft were too idle to do it. It's supported achitecturally by using compatibility mode (sub-mode of IA32e mode) which permits most legacy 16-bit and 32-bit applications to run without re-compilation.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:48 AM
  • 16-bit code cannot run on 64-bit Windows because no 64-bit Windows version has a 16-bit sub-system.

Only because Microsoft were too idle to do it. It's supported achitecturally by using compatibility mode (sub-mode of IA32e mode) which permits most legacy 16-bit and 32-bit applications to run without re-compilation.

Compatibility mode in 64-bit Windows cannot run 16-bit code. There is no sub-system to run it. If an application includes 16-bit code it can only run in a 32 or 16-bit virtual machine.

This is not idleness: it is intentional. There comes a point where building in backward compatibility for applications and hardware is too problematic.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Compatibility mode in 64-bit Windows cannot run 16-bit code. There is no sub-system to run it. If an application includes 16-bit code it can only run in a 32 or 16-bit virtual machine.

I know that but as I said before, it's a software restriction not a hardware one as the architecture supports it.

Furthermore, backward compatbility just requires more effort. I'm still writing tri-modal code as the business requires it.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:46 AM