Issues with upgraded Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

I purchased the OEM version of Windows Vista Home Premium.  Since Microsoft doesn't clearly state the hardware support for the different versions, I ended up having to upgrade to Vista Ultimate to take advantage of my dual Athlon FX-74s.  I suppose I should have remembered that XP Home didn't support multiple CPUs and should have assumed Vista Home wouldn't either...but I failed to think of Vista as being anything like XP.

I decided I wanted to switch to Vista Ultimate 64-bit since my CPUs support it.  After much research I learned that (supposedly) the key is the same for the 32 and 64-bit versions and that my key should work.  Well, during the upgrade process, I never got a key for Ultimate ($160 and all I got was this crappy 82kb license file?) so I used a utility to find my current key.  I wrote the key down and restarted my computer with a borrowed Ultimate 64-bit DVD.  When I entered my key I was greeted with a message that said something like "this license key cannot be used when installation is started from this version of Windows".  I did order the 64-bit version of the Anytime Upgrade DVD, so will I be able to use the key with that disc?  If I can't do this, am I actually going to have to pay another $180 for an OEM Ultimate 64?

Also, if I'm stuck with the 32-bit version, can I not insert my Anytime Upgrade disc and install Ultimate directly...or am I stuck actually having to install Home Premium, activating it, running that license file (which I don't like having to store) I was given, then upgrading to Ultimate?  That seems like an awful lot of trouble to install software I legally purchased.

I hope to have my 64-bit upgrade disc soon.  I hope it allows me to use my existing key.  I'm going to go ahead and submit this, but I may be able to answer part of my question myself.  I realize I can't activate it (and that's fine because it's only temporary) but I think I'm going to use my 32-bit Anytime Upgrade disc to try installing Ultimate on Virtual PC 2007 using the key I extracted from my current version of Ultimate.  If it lets me start the installation then I will have answered part of my question.  ;-)

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:38 AM

Answers

• If you have an "upgrade" license for any version of Windows Vista, you can only use it as an "upgrade" over a qualifying Windows operating system.  Upgrade literally means "upgrade".

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:23 AM

All replies

• A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help you troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you use the Windows Anytime Upgrade feature to upgrade Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930733

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Not to be rude or anything, but that wasn't terribly helpful.  It answered one of my questions, but I figured it out on my own before reading the KB articles.  I realize that the reason I got the error message is because the serial key for my Ultimate is an "upgrade" key.  I also noticed that the page said "Additionally, you must upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows Vista to another 32-bit version of Windows Vista or a 64-bit version of Windows Vista to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista."

The only thing is, I was under the impression that a Vista Ultimate license granted you access to both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  Is this only for retail?  If so, I think it's ridiculous that I have to spend even more money simply to use the 64-bit version of Ultimate.  At this point, I already have invested $270 ($110 for the OEM Home Premium and another $160 for the upgrade to Ultimate) and don't really want to spend another $180 for the OEM Ultimate 64-bit...that would put me at having $450 invested in this and I could have had the retail version of Ultimate for less than that.

Also, I asked about reinstalling my current Ultimate.  Again...if I have to reinstall (which I'm going to have to do because Windows is starting to have problems...no big shock there) am I going to have to install Home Premium, activate it, run the license file, and then upgrade to Ultimate?  I really would like to know so I can burn the license file to a CD-R for safe keeping if I'm stuck having to use it.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Bump

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:44 AM
  • If you have an "upgrade" license for any version of Windows Vista, you can only use it as an "upgrade" over a qualifying Windows operating system.  Upgrade literally means "upgrade".

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:23 AM
  • I'm fully aware of what the word upgrade means.  Thank you for pointing it out anyway, though.  I'm going to take your sardonic comment as a no to my question about upgrading to the 64-bit version.  I guess this means I have to drop another $180 for an OEM copy of Ultimate 64 meaning I will have spent more money for this [terrible software] (it did say "c r a p"...but it had astericks over it...way to go Micro$oft for editing words that are allowed in a PG movie) than if I had just bought the retail version of Ultimate in the first place...which, of course, includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  This just in:  Microsoft overcharges for software, gives very little flexibility with licensing, and doesn't even have very good software to begin with...but is required for any serious gamer (what?!  Microsoft overcharges?!  Noooooooo...).

Okay...great...one problem solved (yay).  Now...on to the question you still haven't answered.  Am I stuck having to store this license file I downloaded just so I can reinstall my upgrade version of Vista Ultimate?  I realize at this point that "upgrade literally means upgrade" and Microsoft likes to be a pain, so yes I have to install my Home Premium before upgrading to Ultimate...but couldn't I simply insert the Anytime Upgrade disc and enter my upgrade key during the installation process?  I just don't feel like hanging on to this one file.

Edit:  I just wanted to add that it's this sort of thing that causes a lot of home users to go with a pirated copy of Windows.  A lot of people want the added functionality of the Professional versions of Windows but they don't want to spend the money required to legally purchase them.  Yeah, sure, there is always the OEM route (which I've taken a couple of times) but this route gives little in the way of support and doesn't allow transferring your license.  If you want Vista Ultimate (the retail version that allows transferring of your license) you have to drop over $300 (it used to be $400).  I'm sorry, but that's a bit much.  I don't understand how Micro$oft can justify charging that amount of money for this software.  Of course, I think what I'm really bothered by is the fact that I have already spent $280 to upgrade to 32-bit Ultimate when I could have had the retail from Newegg for $320.  Anyway, I suppose I'll close with this:  if it weren't for the fact that I have no desire to take any chances getting caught with an illegal copy of this operating system, I would jump on the pirated OS bandwagon in a heartbeat and I don't really blame others for doing so themselves.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:18 PM