Server Won't Shut Down RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to shut the server down so I could do some electrical work on the house.  So I logged in via the desktop client, went to shut down, and shut it down.  Nothing happened, except now the desktop client is grey, I can't log in, and I can't remote desktop in either.  The third light is blinking at me (the one that looks like a cardio monitor or w/e).

What do I do?  Is it "safe" to reach in the back and hold the power button?  Or should I just tap the power button to jog it's senses?

Thanks for the help!!

Matt
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• I think your only option is to hold down the power button (or disconnect mains) to shut down. If there is little or no audible hard drive activity it will probably survive without major errors.

The blinking light probably means you have no network connection. (You could try to unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:20 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• I think your only option is to hold down the power button (or disconnect mains) to shut down. If there is little or no audible hard drive activity it will probably survive without major errors.

The blinking light probably means you have no network connection. (You could try to unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:20 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:11 AM
  • Thanks.  i held the button in and shut it down.  After it started back up, I logged in and did a proper shut down, which worked.

What I'm afraid of is that I won't know if everything is "OK" until I need it.  The server says "healthy", but after I've read all the stories of folks losing backups or the backups not working at all, or losing files on the server.  Oh well.  :|

Regardless, thanks for the help.

-Matt
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:22 PM
  • If you want to check you can best run chkdsk on all partitions:

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    chkdsk D: /x /r

for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1
    chkdsk C: /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot, answer Y

Please note this could take a long time to run, especially if there are errors to fix. If you don't want to spend that much time on checking your disks you can also try and open a few backups for each client to make sure at least your backups are OK. Personally I do this at least once a week anyway.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:38 PM