Forcing Data Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I set up an old p3 with 2 hard drive (80gb + 40gb) to use with the 180 days whs evaluation dvd.

I never experienced the data corruption bug during the 180 days trial, and i had more than 80gb of data in it.

I was getting ready to buy a new pc for the WHS when the data bug news came out. I so decided to put the home server on hold.

Recently i knew about the beta program, so i decided to participate and try to help.

I downloaded the evaluation RTM version from microsoft connect and did a clean install of the WHS with the same pc configuration - Pentium 3 + 1GB ram + ide 80gb + ide 40gb + lan 100.

i installed all the updates from the WU and i have been trying to force the data corruption to occur, but with no luck.

For me this is the best way to see if the data bug fix really works, but for some reason i can't get the data to get corrupted.

I transfered mp3 files and photos to the whs shared folders, and at the same time i edited the photos in vista photo gallery and live photo gallery in 2 diferent pcs, changing the files directly in the server shares.

During this time i was also playing some music files in media player 11 and changing the info on them.

I checked the dates and the files were updated to the current date, but no data corruption occured.

Can someone help me to corrupt my data, what am i doing wrong?

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:31 PM

Answers

• You're not doing anything wrong. The issue occurs only under very rare circumstances; Microsoft has only a few confirmed cases outside their labs.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Hey all,

Hope your PP1 experience is going great. Before we released it I had asked people to email me who can easily reproduce this, all of you have been emailed by me. For everyone else I want to know if you have been able to reproduce any type of corruption under PP1. Which applications have you tested so far and do you plan on testing anymore applications, if so which?

Also if you would like to help the team test this but aren’t sure how head on over to connect and download the feature focus documents, PC Applications for corruption testing. Of course the document can’t cover every single way to produce this so go ahead and try it out on your own applications once you get the feel for it.

Just a note that Quicken doesn’t support home server and you should never migrate the outlook PST to a network share.

Thanks!

AJ

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:15 PM

All replies

• You're not doing anything wrong. The issue occurs only under very rare circumstances; Microsoft has only a few confirmed cases outside their labs.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:32 AM
  • I was apparently one of the "few" people that experienced the corruption bug, i found that it was possible to replicate the issue if i used a program called "teracopy" the newest beta version 2.0 beta 3 i think it is.  Not sure if it would be possible to replicate it with only 2 drives in my example what i had was a few drives but i think if you had 3 drives it would be still possible. Just have to have 2 drives in the pool then a 3rd not added for which you copy all the data from.  On my occation it left 8 - 12 seconds of any AVI intact but anything after that would be trashed.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:55 AM
  •  PTwhs08 wrote:

I downloaded the evaluation RTM version from microsoft connect and did a clean install of the WHS with the same pc configuration - Pentium 3 + 1GB ram + ide 80gb + ide 40gb + lan 100.

i installed all the updates from the WU and i have been trying to force the data corruption to occur, but with no luck.

For me this is the best way to see if the data bug fix really works, but for some reason i can't get the data to get corrupted.

Do you realise that what you have downloaded is the product we've all been using for months now? - the PP1 beta has NOT been released yet - so the data corruption fix (beta) is not out in the market yet - it's scheduled to be released to those who have signed up for the beta programme in early June.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:18 AM
  •  

I think that he is trying to do is force the corruption to occur on this system with the existing software.

Then when the PP1 Beta is available, he will try to force the corruption to occur again.

If he can't do it on the PP1 Beta, then that is a sign that at least one data corruption problem has been fixed.

-Mike

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

Thanks Slomike

That's exactly what i'm trying to do.

i'm using the rtm version of WHS with a clean install and i'm trying to force the data corruption to occur before i patch the whs with the pp1 beta. Then i will take the exact same steps and see if the corruption is fixed.

So if you know of a "special" formula to make the data corruption occur, please share it with me.

Thanks,

Ric

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I've duplicated it three times now.  Seems to be when large amounts (a few TB) are copied in, duplication on (2 drives), and backups are setup.  

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:26 PM
  • For those of you who have good luck Smile on reproducing data corruption I would like you to email me

(whsforum at microsoft.com). and if you plan on testing PP1 when it goes public.

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

One easy way to get it is to download a large torrent using your local PC but saving it directly on the server skipping your local hard drive.

It wont happen everytime, but it happens alot for me. I had submitted a bug report for this back in the early beta days.

Dawg.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I experienced the corruption bug after adding 2 additional hard drives to the server and installing the  connector software to each of my machines. I setup the Home Server software on a single 750 gig drive and copied all of my files (music, video etc). I tested this for a week with no issues. I edited files directly on the server and copied large files to and from the machine.  Then I added 2 additional drives a 750gb and a 1tb drive to the server and allowed file duplication and read write access for all folders. This ran well for approximately a week. Then I added the connector software to each machine (previously I had just connected to the shared folders with a mapped drive) and performed backups . Within a few days my music collection started losing songs and album art. I removed the two additional drives and restored all the files from a backup. Now I am back to running on one drive with no issues and waiting patiently for the PP1 Beta.   

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Thanks for all your comments.

I've been trying to break my data in the WHS shares (all shares are with duplication on), so last night i copied a few GB of music files using the Synctoy 2.0. After this first copy of files to the whs shares, i started copying some dvd backup files using the Synctoy 2.0 beta and left it to do it's business.

Half and hour later i went to see how it was doing, and i had a red network icon notification, saying that i had less than 5gb of space in the server and also that one of the share folders had a "FILE SYSTEM ERROR".

I went to the whs console i checked that i had 3.2gb of free space in the WHS, and that the error about the file system had happened with one of the music album i copied to the music share.

I thought to my self, i did it, i was able to duplicate the data corruption error, so i opened the folder with the failed mp3 files in the whs share folder and tried to open them with media player 11, and to my surprise they all worked.

So i went and compared the size of the files with the original ones from my pc and they all matched.

Needles to say, i'm not sure what happened with my server, was it because the space was running out, or is this "file system error" the tip of the iceberg regarding the data corruption bug.

Did anyone experience this?

I almost forgot, during the sync of the dvd files to the server, a backup of a client pc was in progress, and the server hard drives were working like crazy and noisy.

UPDATE #1 - The error i got about file system error, was caused because of the low space, so the whs couldn't duplicate the files, so i got the error, tricking me to think i had data corruption, but no.

I then deleted some files to gain space and the network got green, all good now.

To sum, i've been trying a lot of diferent situations to bread the whs with no luck, until i found this post

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=3455911&isthread=false&siteid=50&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

and decided to give it a try, and here are the results

I ran the test in a whs share with duplication on four times.

1 run - failed after 220

2 run - failed after 960

3 run - failed after 350

4 run - failed ater 528

I also ran the test in a pc with windows xp home edition and it ended the test 10000, extremely fast

The current drive extender of whs has some errors, which in some special situations causes the data corruption bug to occur.

This is the very first time i could reproduce a error in my whs config, so i will test this later again with pp1 beta installed and post the results here.

See you all soon, and happy testing

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Same here, just came across the very same little test script and its a sure failure everytime.

...can't even make it to 1000 against the WHS, but does a complete test against any other OS/SHARE anytime.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:13 AM
  •  jbrondum wrote:

Same here, just came across the very same little test script and its a sure failure everytime.

...can't even make it to 1000 against the WHS, but does a complete test against any other OS/SHARE anytime.

I"ll note that this script doesn't test KB946676, which corrupts data stored in a file.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Hey all,

Hope your PP1 experience is going great. Before we released it I had asked people to email me who can easily reproduce this, all of you have been emailed by me. For everyone else I want to know if you have been able to reproduce any type of corruption under PP1. Which applications have you tested so far and do you plan on testing anymore applications, if so which?

Also if you would like to help the team test this but aren’t sure how head on over to connect and download the feature focus documents, PC Applications for corruption testing. Of course the document can’t cover every single way to produce this so go ahead and try it out on your own applications once you get the feel for it.

Just a note that Quicken doesn’t support home server and you should never migrate the outlook PST to a network share.

Thanks!

AJ

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Hey Guys,

i have been searching a lot for a solution to my problem and i think you might have some kind of solution. Microsoft sent me an 120 days evaluation copy of the WHS (build 3790 service pack 2), now i wanted to try it out first to see if it meets up to my expectations but so far i have been having this problem with corrupt files.

here is the scenario
       1 home server with WHS, 120 GIG hard ( Syst c: 20 gig, DATA D: 100 gb)  and two 500 gb install on RAID card
       2 laptop on whs connector
       1 desktop with 120 gb

now i have a lot of music on my desktop that i want to transfer to the home server and share it. i tried to copy some music files from the desktop to the server, which went fine, but when i try to open any of the files music or jpeg i can't. i get an error " the file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match the file format " or preview not available for the pics. these files open ok on my desktop, only after that i copy them thru my home network to the server that they won't open.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:33 PM
  •  Boulepick wrote:
    Hey Guys,

i have been searching a lot for a solution to my problem and i think you might have some kind of solution. Microsoft sent me an 120 days evaluation copy of the WHS (build 3790 service pack 2), now i wanted to try it out first to see if it meets up to my expectations but so far i have been having this problem with corrupt files.

here is the scenario
       1 home server with WHS, 120 GIG hard ( Syst c: 20 gig, DATA D: 100 gb)  and two 500 gb install on RAID card
       2 laptop on whs connector
       1 desktop with 120 gb

now i have a lot of music on my desktop that i want to transfer to the home server and share it. i tried to copy some music files from the desktop to the server, which went fine, but when i try to open any of the files music or jpeg i can't. i get an error " the file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match the file format " or preview not available for the pics. these files open ok on my desktop, only after that i copy them thru my home network to the server that they won't open.

Are you running the Power Pack 1 Release Candidate (beta) available at http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

Have you read KB#946676 available from the Microsoft Knowledge Base?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:22 PM