This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. RRS feed

• Question

• This is really busted.

With Firefox 23.0.1:

I go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=91 and click "Continue" for validation, I download GenuineCheck.exe and I get "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported.  Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate."

The GenuineCheck.exe is v1.9.42.0 and digitally signed by Microsoft on June 25th 2009.

If I use Internet Explorer with the activex control, it works fine.

The short version is, Microsoft: Your download center is currently broken for all non-IE users trying to use your genuine advantage validator.   Please fix it.

If you can't be bothered to provide a new validation tool at least put some text up that you need to use IE.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:49 AM

Answers

• MS has known about the problem for a while - last time it happened ( around the same time last year) it took them 8 weeks to fix it. :(

Let's see if they can beat that record :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:42 AM

All replies

• MS has known about the problem for a while - last time it happened ( around the same time last year) it took them 8 weeks to fix it. :(

Let's see if they can beat that record :)

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Doesn't work on Internet Explorer 10 either.  Microsoft has really become an incompetent, irrelevant company since Bill Gates let go of it, hasn't it.  If I had ever done incompetent work like this, I would have been fired.  Basically, I can't do anything until someone decides to do some *WORK* when they get to work.  Great.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:52 PM
  • It worked fine when I tested it over the weekend - in IE10 on Win7

Check your AcitveX settings - visit www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag and see if it finds anything amiss.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:32 PM