COA question RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a company that purchases sheets of COAs (stand alone) and restore media discs and puts them together to look like a factory product, then sells them as new.. Is this legal?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Trinity86,

You should call the Microsoft anti-piracy hotline at (800) RU-LEGIT.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:53 PM

All replies

• "Trinity86" wrote in message news:651a2ed4-a034-460a-b6e3-4b0c3f8fd9c5...
    I work for a company that purchases sheets of COAs (stand alone) and restore media discs and puts them together to look like a factory product, then sells them as new.. Is this legal?

As far as I know – NO!
    (but then I am neither a lawyer, nor a MS spokesman)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Thanks Noel, everything seems to be very hush hush so I am getting suspicious
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hello Trinity86,

You should call the Microsoft anti-piracy hotline at (800) RU-LEGIT.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Just to confirm, 

A) are putting together a COA and Restore Media and just packaging them up for resale?

or

B) are they building computers and including a COA and Media with each computer?

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hi Darin,

we are a software wholesaler and the media comes in from China (I think) but I have no idea where the COAs come from. The media comes in zip lock bags, and the adhere they COA to the Media and then cut and seal the bags. They then use a shrink wrap gun to tighten up the plastic sleeve.

I am completely new to the industry so this may be totally legal but I've had a few customers question the product. We refer to it as "Dell Branded" I guess because it says Dell on the COA. I'm told we have a channel with Dell where we buy them.

It just seems odd to me and I don't want to get into trouble.....

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:30 PM