none
Multiple users, one install of SyncToy 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering if I'm going to cause myself any grief by creating new folder pairs using an alternate login to my XP box..

I have 3 PCs, a work pc, laptop and home pc

I currently have an SyncToy 2.0 install configured under one Admin account, with this having ~10 folder pairs that are working a treat - This is syncing from the source work pc to the destination laptop..

I want to setup pairs with the home desktop, using the same folders that are synced from the work pc to the laptop..

When I opened SyncToy using a different account on the laptop, it was not aware of the ~10 folder pairs which were configured (and are running happily) under another admin account on the laptop..

So the question..

Will I cause any grief to the existing pairs (<source> work pc - <destination> laptop) if using another account on the laptop setup another set of pairs (<source> laptop - <destination> home pc)

I have been unable to easily figure out where the folder pair info is stored, is it linked to a user profile XP> docs and settings/$username/$ or within the install dir for SyncToy 2.0 XP> Program Files/SyncToy/$

Ultimately, I want to do work at all locations, and just have to sync from each as I migrate from home to laptop to work to laptop to home etc
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Go ahead and create folder pairs between the laptop and your home machine. There should be no problems sharing  the same folders on your laptop between the work and home machine. Using a different login to create these folder pairs is fine or you could use the same login and create seperate folder pairs as well and view all 20 folder pairs together at the same time.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:05 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Go ahead and create folder pairs between the laptop and your home machine. There should be no problems sharing  the same folders on your laptop between the work and home machine. Using a different login to create these folder pairs is fine or you could use the same login and create seperate folder pairs as well and view all 20 folder pairs together at the same time.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up Deepa..

The concern that I had was about the SyncToy_$SOMEALPHANUMERICCOMBO.dat files - there are copies of these on the <source> work pc and <target> laptop.. And have been wondering a little deeper how SyncToy actually does the syncing.. Is it just from the timestamp of the file?

The problem that I have is if I was to dump some more pairs into the existing list of ~10 or so pairs, I then have to go about deselecting the invalid ones before pressing the "Run All" button.. All taking that little bit longer and niggling that little bit more..

I was almost looking for a way to group pairs or have these intelligently deselected when the drive/share/external disk was unavailable.. So thus having two "sync" environments for the one box/pc/laptop.. This would allow me to happily click "Run All" regardless of where I am and what I have plugged in or not..
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:04 AM