windows volume maximising / unmuting when call incoming RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure whether this is a bug or just a 'feature' thats never been considered but..

Whenever somebody tries to call another communicator user - before they even see the alert that the call is incoming or choose to accept - the windows volume setting goes to unmuted and maximum level.

This is really annoying when in an open plan office and you have say a background application quietly playing away, or your speaker on mute for a reason or during our training sessions with several users in the same lab as this causes a lot of feedback (we ideally need the mic volume ON so we can see how multi user video conferencing chooses who to display)..

Does everybody else experience the same thing, and if so is there any way to stop Communicator taking control of your windows volume settings?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:05 AM

All replies

•  

I tried to reproduce the issue, but I am not able to reproduce.

Which Version of Communicator are you using? and also can you give me the audio/video settings you have set?

Thanks!

Ram

SDET,

Office Communicator,

USB Devices & Sound

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:35 AM
  •  

Hi Ram - are you using windows XP or Vista?

I've found the volume control works completely differently between the two...

(This is the case with our configurations: Windows XP PRO SP2 or Windows VISTA Enterprise.  RTM OCS and Communicator 2.0.6362.0 - the issues below seem to be the same whether the 'Hotfix for Outlook integration etc that Communicator prompts to install' has been installed or not).

**with windows volume on mute:

VISTA - windows will remain muted while call incoming and after accepting call

XP - windows will remain muted wile call incoming but unmute after accepting call

**with windows volume low, but communicator volume set high:

VISTA - windows volume will remain low while call incoming and after accepting call

XP - windows volume will increase to the level of communicator both while call incoming and after accepting call

**when adjusting volume in communicator:

VISTA - windows volume adjusted independently of communicator

XP - communicator just controls the windows volume - no indepence seems possible.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:02 PM
  • I tested the behaviours you have mentioned, I agree I am able to reproduce them. I will test all of the features, will give you an update soon.

Thanks!

Ram

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:07 AM
  •  

Here is the detailed explanation for this:

1) Lets Consider in the A/V Tuning Wizard, you have selected

1) HeadSet -> your audio speaker

2) Speaker -> your audio speaker

3) Sounds -> your audio speaker

then if it is the default device in the windows as well and if a call comes, it will try to unmute the device which is selected as a speaker device, so that you get the call. but remember this unmute happens only if you click the call to accept it, telling oc that you want to speak the call, so it unmutes providing you to talk. so it unmutes the device you have selected.

now coming to the scenario of a open room with many people some audio is on mute, i assume that you would be having two devices, one normal computer speakers for sounds and then other device like a headset or catalina,etc as selected speaker device in oc. so the default device is the windows and default device for the oc will help you in achieving what you are trying.

considering vista, it is entirely different, in vista each program holds a volume control and same as i told if ur default device in the windows and oc is different then you won't face this issue.

let me know if this helps, or i could explain you more clearly.

Thanks!

Ram

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:44 PM