I am having problem with backing up my one care with a external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a external hard drive but it is not being recongnized by one care. I had it set up to back up to the hard drive but it still isnot  working. It has been about three weeks since I had this done by you people but I am now having the problem again. Could it be that the one care will never recognize the hard drive and I should not be using the back up from one care and going another way.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

• First of all, I should point out that "you people" might be support, since this is a community forum with customers helping customers.

When you worked with support to configure the backup, did you then perform a backup succesfully? If so, did you then power off and remove the drive or has it remained connected to your PC via the same USB port?

Can you access the external drive using Windows Explorer?

You may want to contact support once again and refer to your prior support case.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• First of all, I should point out that "you people" might be support, since this is a community forum with customers helping customers.

When you worked with support to configure the backup, did you then perform a backup succesfully? If so, did you then power off and remove the drive or has it remained connected to your PC via the same USB port?

Can you access the external drive using Windows Explorer?

You may want to contact support once again and refer to your prior support case.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:33 PM
  • I should add that if your subscription has many months to go, you should work to resolve this. If, however, it will expire by the end of this year, you should probably consider a backup alternative instead as OneCare is at end of life (fully supported for the life of your current subscription or the end of 2010, whichever is sooner, but renewals will be disallowed by year's end 2009) and the replacement (Microsoft Security Essentials - free for all users of valid licenses of Windows XP, Vista, 7) only includes virus and spyware protection without the additional features of OneCare.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Thanks Steve.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:14 PM