Change permissions ob project site after closing project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

We are having following issue in our enterprise. After the project is closed (all tasks are completed, remaining work is set to 0, project is archived and moved to special security group to deny publish for project manager etc..)

At this point project office would like to revoke permissions on project site. How could that be achieved without breaking link in PWA. But I think that is only possible way - for example if link in PWA wouldn't be broken after changing security or project publish the PS would resynchronize permission on project site. Am I right?

Is there any other way to revoke permission on project site for example for team members? Thanks

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:44 AM

Answers

• I just tried this on my test system (Dec CU), and have not seen any issues with it. Just to confirm, Here is what I did:

• Went into the Project Site
    • Clicked on Site Actions >> Site Settings >> Permission Levels
    • Opened the "Team members (Microsoft Project Server)"
    • Removed the Edit Items and few other permissions and Submitted
    • Opened the corresponding project and published
    • Rechecked the permission levels and the changes stuck?

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• Avion:

Please see this link for a recommended approach for Project Archiving: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/archive-a-completed-project-HA102420489.aspx

Alternatively, if you are using MSPS 2010, then site level permissions changes are honored even after synchronizing.. so you can just go and revoke permissions for all team members for that 'project site'

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:39 PM
  • You can change the permission level of the group.  On that site, go to site settings and modify the "Team Members - Microsoft Office Project Server" and other groups to revoke whatever rights you want. 
    Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    • Marked as answer by Tomaz_K Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tomaz_K Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:15 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I tried. This won't work. The permissions and permission levels are reset after synchronization. Any other idea?
    The idea would be that Project Site link in PWA would still redirect user to desired project's site but the permissions wouldn't be synchronized. I would like that team members would have only read access to the documents (but of course this is not achevable since the team members must not be put off from the tasks they were doing).
    The only idea I have is to break the link between PWA and Project's site.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:18 AM
  • What CU are you running?  There were some issues with this in earlier releases but on my 2007 install with Feb 2010 CU I use the solution I proposed above. 
    Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Running Project Server 2010. Now I will try to install Project Server 2010 CU February. Will see what happens...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:18 AM
  • I just installed CU April 2011 for Project Server 2010. But had no luck with my problem.

If I change permissions on certain permission level for example "Team members (Microsoft Project Server)" after synchornization or publish of project permissions on permission level are restored to previous state.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I just tried this on my test system (Dec CU), and have not seen any issues with it. Just to confirm, Here is what I did:

• Went into the Project Site
    • Clicked on Site Actions >> Site Settings >> Permission Levels
    • Opened the "Team members (Microsoft Project Server)"
    • Removed the Edit Items and few other permissions and Submitted
    • Opened the corresponding project and published
    • Rechecked the permission levels and the changes stuck?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Got it. If you do like Prassanna Adavi said (you perform a publish) it acts like suspected (permissions and permission levels are not resynchronized).

But if you go to Server Settings -> Project Sites and click Synchornize on specific project site, the permissions and permission levels are resynchornized.

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:14 AM