OSC on x86 server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I know it is highly recommended to use x64 bit server but with budget cuts I need to determine if OCS can be setup on a x32 server?  We are also running Exchange 2003.  Can someone provide feedbcak other then telling me to upgrade to Exchange 07 and use a 64 bit server?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:57 PM

Answers

• YOu can certainly run OCS on a 32 bit machine.  Obviously, however,  you will not be able to integrate with Exchange UM.

• Marked as answer by Joe Frisco Friday, February 20, 2009 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:04 PM

All replies

• YOu can certainly run OCS on a 32 bit machine.  Obviously, however,  you will not be able to integrate with Exchange UM.

• Marked as answer by Joe Frisco Friday, February 20, 2009 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Thanks.  The goal is to use only IM (and I guess Presence) so the executives want me to explore installation options with what we have.   They have asked if OCS could be setup with the servers we have in addition we are running Exchange 03.   Even with the standard version, isn't a dedicated server required?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  Joe Frisco wrote:

I know it is highly recommended to use x64 bit server but with budget cuts I need to determine if OCS can be setup on a x32 server?  We are also running Exchange 2003.  Can someone provide feedbcak other then telling me to upgrade to Exchange 07 and use a 64 bit server?

Joe,

I'm not sure what recommendations your are referring to, but the OCS 2007 components are 32-bit only and it's recommended to use a 32-bit OS on the host server.  The WOW64 Support section in the Supportability Guide details what 64-bit OS versions are supported.

If you are looking for native 64-bit support than the February release of OCS 2007 R2 will be 64-bit only (no more 32 bit support).

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:12 PM