none
Which User is Using My Name? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I've just signed up here and created my profile. But when I entered "Jonathan Wood" as the visible name, the system reports that this name is already in use. So I searched to see who the other Jonathan Wood is and it tells me that no users with that name could be found.

Does anyone understand what is happening here? I'd really prefer to use my real name. Currently, my visible name is "Jonathan Wood, SoftCircuits".

For all I know, the existing account is one I created but I can't locate it to make that determination.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

• It's extremely easy to change the visible name for your account. It's the first item under "Edit My Profile." The only problem I'm running into is that the name can't be used by another user.

Sorry, but I don't know what WN3 is.

At any rate, I've contact my MVP lead. If the other Jonathan Wood is me, then I'd definitely like to resolve this. There can be only one of me! :-)

Jonathan Wood | SoftCircuits | Developer Blog
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:24 PM
  •  

Robert: What do you mean? How can this not be something screwy?

If the system tells me the name is in use, then shouldn't I be able to find a user using that name? And if it is was me that owned both accounts, shouldn't it be possible for me to reconcile that, combining them or deleting one of them?

If it involves an account that's never posted here, then why won't it let me use the name?

This seems very strange and I'm puzzled by the suggestion that this isn't necessarily a problem.

Well, which speculation do you think is correct?   In the case of my Hotmail account I use it for some E-mail and may have sent some IM with it.   In the case of using my main Live-Id with WN3, I suppose one thing I could try is changing its profile to something like   Robert Aldwinckle on WN3  and then perhaps  Robert Aldwinckle  would then be freed up as an identifier for use on forums.   So, depending on the implementation the only problem I see is a deficiency of not being able to combine all my authentications and accesses under the same identifier but I don't assume that that functionality exists.

Probably the thing to do is go to the Windows Live Solution Center and ask what's what.   Or just assume that the functionality is not quite as general as we might like...

http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=8c03c926-8c01-4c95-8f33-5d82be7d08f7

(Search  Windows Live ID  Solutions for
        already in use
    )

<quote>

If you’re trying to change your account name, unfortunately there is no option to do that.

</quote>

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 5, 2010 7:41 PM

All replies

• If you do a search as follows Jonathan Wood* , there are 2 user matches: Jonathan Woods & Jonathan Woodard. I can only assume the system sees your name as the same as theirs.
    All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:43 PM
  •  
    Does anyone understand what is happening here? I'd really prefer to use my real name. Currently, my visible name is "Jonathan Wood, SoftCircuits".  

I had the same issue (as you might guess <w>).   My guess is that it's because either that I previously posted a few times in WN3 using this LiveID identified by just my name (so technically probably I have a WN3 account still?).   Or that I have another LiveID (my Hotmail acccount) which is also identified by just my name.   I notice other posters probably trying to solve the same problem by adding their middle initial to their name after previously posting for years with simpler identification.   I don't want to expose that much more detail about myself just to work around this.

FWIW

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 8:57 PM
  • If you do a search as follows Jonathan Wood* , there are 2 user matches: Jonathan Woods & Jonathan Woodard. I can only assume the system sees your name as the same as theirs.
    It makes no sense that the system cannot distinguish between "Jonathan Wood" and "Jonathan Woods". These names are not the same and both should be allowed.
    Jonathan Wood http://www.softcircuits.com/blog
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Thanks. I had wondered if the other Jonathan Wood was also me. That's why I wanted to see the existing user. But the system simply won't find anyone with that name. Something very screwy is going on here.
    Jonathan Wood http://www.softcircuits.com/blog
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:33 PM
  •  
    Thanks. I had wondered if the other Jonathan Wood was also me. That's why I wanted to see the existing user. But the system simply won't find anyone with that name. Something very screwy is going on here.

Not necessarily.  E.g. for my second possibility (my Hotmail account's identifier) I haven't yet used that account to do any posting on forums or even newsgroups (via WN3).

Robert
    ---
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I've been posting as plain Malke forever, on Usenet and on forums. But MS Answers thought "Malke" was already taken. Of course it was, by me! Even my lead and the MS Answers forum people couldn't figure out how to fix this so I finally gave up and just mashed my first and middle names together.
    MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Robert: What do you mean? How can this not be something screwy?

If the system tells me the name is in use, then shouldn't I be able to find a user using that name? And if it is was me that owned both accounts, shouldn't it be possible for me to reconcile that, combining them or deleting one of them?

If it involves an account that's never posted here, then why won't it let me use the name?

This seems very strange and I'm puzzled by the suggestion that this isn't necessarily a problem.

Jonathan Wood | Developer Blog
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:59 PM
  •  

Robert: What do you mean? How can this not be something screwy?

Well, which speculation do you think is correct?   In the case of my Hotmail account I use it for some E-mail and may have sent some IM with it.   In the case of using my main Live-Id with WN3, I suppose one thing I could try is changing its profile to something like   Robert Aldwinckle on WN3  and then perhaps  Robert Aldwinckle  would then be freed up as an identifier for use on forums.   So, depending on the implementation the only problem I see is a deficiency of not being able to combine all my authentications and accesses under the same identifier but I don't assume that that functionality exists.

Probably the thing to do is go to the Windows Live Solution Center and ask what's what.   Or just assume that the functionality is not quite as general as we might like...

http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=8c03c926-8c01-4c95-8f33-5d82be7d08f7

(Search  Windows Live ID  Solutions for
        already in use
    )

<quote>

If you’re trying to change your account name, unfortunately there is no option to do that.

</quote>

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 5, 2010 7:41 PM
  • It's extremely easy to change the visible name for your account. It's the first item under "Edit My Profile." The only problem I'm running into is that the name can't be used by another user.

Sorry, but I don't know what WN3 is.

At any rate, I've contact my MVP lead. If the other Jonathan Wood is me, then I'd definitely like to resolve this. There can be only one of me! :-)

Jonathan Wood | SoftCircuits | Developer Blog
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:24 PM