none
Signatures and Other Extraneous Text RRS feed

• General discussion

• In general I like the design of the MSDN forum UI but one thing I believe will make them more useful and less cluttered is some way to remove signatures and other extraneous text that some users add to the space for discussions. There are two aspects to this. One is providing some way for a consumer like me to turn off this extraneous text. The other is related to creating an etiquette where users do not put in such text into the space reserved for discussions and answers.  

This has been discussed before but since the thread is very old I thought I would start a new one.

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular because this is a pretty common thing. However, this thread I recently started provides the perfect example of what I think is clutter and uncalled for.

One of the Microsoft representatives has a huge signature, with a picture and flashing text. Interestingly the same user does not have a picture as a part of their profile. I find this very puzzling.

There are plenty of ways in which users can highlight their status and accomplishments, if that is what most people use signatures for. I don't believe they should be using the space provided for the discussion to do this. If they feel that the provided methods are not adequate they should surface their requests on this forum so the MSDN team can consider them.

The intent of this thread is not to offend anyone. My wish is that we can improve the forums to make them even more useful.

Jaspreet 

• Edited by Jaspreet Bakshi Friday, January 4, 2013 9:00 PM
    • Changed type Jaspreet Bakshi Monday, January 7, 2013 6:54 PM Changing the type of this thread to a general discussion to encourage some conversation and comments.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 8:59 PM

All replies

• One of the Microsoft representatives has a huge signature, with a picture and flashing text.

A signature with flashing sounds obnoxious.

Maybe a limit of 4 lines or 200 characters of plain text (or links) would be be sufficient to say what needs saying or to point to a page with more.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Can you show an example with a huge signature?

I'm using my signature to point out little information of me and also telling people what they should do when posting in the Microsoft Forums.

Btw. the script is just there to point out that I like programming.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Livio, I can't get over the irony. Looks like a lot of people are reporting you eh?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:42 AM
  • I just saw it once, that my post was marked red but no-one really told me why and also when I checked my post, I couldn't see anything that could have been abusive.

I deleted the post, just in case.

I just had a moment right before, that someone thought I'm not answering his question and wasting his time with my answer and warned me to report me as spammer/abuser if I do it again. That guy found a bug with text formatting and wanted to have some font style changing options for colour, size, etc. and also wanted to be able to add .jpg images. So I just wrote "use html to change fonts etc." (not original copy/pasted but comes close). In my opinion, this is a workaround for part of his question, what I told him right after.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:43 AM