XP to Win 7 via backup!? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,
    I have a remote client with a Windows Home Server v1. I am upgrading their XP to Win 7.
    Q: Can I remotely access their XP backup on The WHS, copy the latest XP backup to my location, then upgrade that XP backup to a windows 7 PC from said backup?
    Cheers,
    Wyatt.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:35 PM

Answers

• It's not clear exactly what you think you'd like to do, but I recommend you not do it that way, because you're leaving out the whole "get the upgrade onto the right hardware" piece. :) In any case, there's no facility for restoring a backup across a WAN link.

Instead, just tag the last XP backup to be kept forever (note that "forever" may not be all that long; the client backup database has zero redundancy and there's generally no way to rebuild database components lost due to e.g. disk failure), then wipe the system and install Windows 7. You should be able to restore critical data afterward, from that last XP backup. I'd also recommend testing the integrity of the backup by testing the single file restore capabilities. (Also note that single file restore is known to be fairly slow.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Wyatt-Earp Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• It's not clear exactly what you think you'd like to do, but I recommend you not do it that way, because you're leaving out the whole "get the upgrade onto the right hardware" piece. :) In any case, there's no facility for restoring a backup across a WAN link.

Instead, just tag the last XP backup to be kept forever (note that "forever" may not be all that long; the client backup database has zero redundancy and there's generally no way to rebuild database components lost due to e.g. disk failure), then wipe the system and install Windows 7. You should be able to restore critical data afterward, from that last XP backup. I'd also recommend testing the integrity of the backup by testing the single file restore capabilities. (Also note that single file restore is known to be fairly slow.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Wyatt-Earp Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi Wyatt,

there is no direct upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7, therefore your attempt will fail.

Unless you want to waste your time with upgrading to Vista with some SP first, and then to Windows 7, a clean install would be the recommended way.

A restore to a remote location could very eventually work, if you have configured a VPN connection and a computer in your network is an attached client. (The restore CD would fail, since it cannot deal with VPN).

Since the amount of data for bare metal restore is huge and the bandwidth low, it is to expect, that the forced disconnect all 24 hours done by many ISPs will stop the restore process, if no other disconnecting situations happen earlier.

So I don't think you would have access here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:21 AM