Vista Genuine Validation Error, 0x80080250 RRS feed

• Question

• I uninstalled my antivirus (Trend-Micro) because every single day I get a message saying that my copy of RC1 is not a genuine one. I got my DVD from Microsoft and my serial from Microsoft, so what the heck? I uninstalled my antivirus so I could validate it because when I had it installed it wasn't working. I got error #0x80080250 from the website where you validate and I have a window on my screen that says:

Title: X  Windows Activation
        You will no longer recieve notifications (when I get them ALL THE TIME), including     those about your license or activation.
        To try to fix this problem, click one of the links below.
        Error: 0xC004D401

---> Validate your product online
        ---> Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem

What do I do?! I have tried everything to validate and I get the same result. I've only got it to work once and that was last night, and now I'm getting the same message saying my copy isn't genuine.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:37 PM

Answers

• Thank you

I sent you an email to the specified address and am looking forward to your reply

Regards

Nir

Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:27 PM

All replies

• Please activate yoru copy of Windows Vista.

-phil

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:06 AM
  • The error you report indicates that the protection mechanism underlying windows activation believes that a binary has been tampered.  This is probably due to Trend-Micro doing something that would otherwise be legitimate. We identified a similar issue with Spyware Doctor, and have worked with them successfully to get that issue fixed (I don't know if they released a patch yet, but I "think" so). We (Microsoft) need to contact Trend-Micro and help them resolve this issue.  Can you send me the version information for your anti-virus software? I will forward it along to the protection guys and get them engaged on working with the vendor for resolution. Thanks, Rich.
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:55 PM
  • FYI - it's the 0xc004d401 error that I'm talking about... :)
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:57 PM
  • Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14 - (8.130.1001/3.856.50)

And Phil, I've activated my copy already with no issues before, it's only now this problem has came up.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 1:03 AM
  •  Hello Arabesque

The Vista team will be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue

We have seen some related issues for Vista machines that have Spyware Doctor
    4.0 installed - if you have this software installed, try uninstalling and see
    if it helps

If not, you can either let me know your email address so that I can contact
    you or file a service request (free of charge) on the WGA hotline
    at: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&;; and
    let me know what the service request number is

I hope that we can help resolve the issue

Regards

Nir

Friday, October 20, 2006 3:40 AM
  • Service Request Number: SRZ061020002743
    My email address: bangxx [at] gmail.com

Thanks
    Friday, October 20, 2006 8:24 PM
  • Thank you

I sent you an email to the specified address and am looking forward to your reply

Regards

Nir

Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:27 PM
  • I got the same message as you "Arabesque". I have zone alarm 6 and spyware doctor 4.0 installed on my system and vista will not allow me to uninstall these programs. As a matter of fact, the click commands are not working at all. I would like to return to my old xp. How can that be done?
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:01 AM
  •  

I got the same problem but solved it.

1.  Open explorer....Press the "Windows Key" + "E"
    2.  Click on the expand icon > to the left of "Control Panel"  The lack of validation eliminated my ability to access Control Panel normally.
    3.  Click on the expand icon > to the left of "Programs and Features"  This should show the programs in the explorer window.  Select Trend Micro and uninstall it.
    4.  While it uninstalls I received a notice that my validation failed again. 
    5.  Click on the link in that asks if you want to validate in other methods.  This link is in the validation failure notice.
    6.  A window will pop up asking you to either call, or connect using your computer modem if you have one.  I dont.  So I called the 800 number. 
    7.  Another window will pop up with two telephone numbers.  One an 800 number and one a local number.  Calling will result in a computer guiding you thru.  You have to use your voice to guide it.  Speak clearly.
    8.  There will be 9 groups of numbers you have to provide.  Then the computer will give you 9 group of numbers back to enter.
    9.  Click Next when your done entering the numbers.  I would reboot.
    10.  Goto this site to validate once done http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en 

This worked for me.  Now I have full functionality of Vista.  I hope this works for you.  Spread the word... I see alot of this problem on the net.

Monday, October 30, 2006 12:08 AM
  • I have the same problem rich, but I have spyware doctor. how do I fix it?

jeffny how do I uninstall it if I already deleted part of the folder?

Monday, October 30, 2006 1:05 AM
  • Our protection team worked with PC Tools after identifying a compatibility issue with Spyware Doctor and the code that protects Vista activation. The last target date I heard was that PC Tools will have a release around mid-November that addresses this.  Note that they didn't have a code bug; they were just doing something that's no longer allowed in Vista -- we have sent guidance to several spyware and antivirus companies so the problem can be avoided in the future.

In the meantime, unfortunately, the workaround is to uninstall Spyware Doctor (may have to do it from within safe mode without networking...). 

Monday, October 30, 2006 6:02 PM
  • As a temporary workaround to the Spyware Doctor issue (I posted about this already in this thread), you can uninstall Spyware Doctor from within safe mode without networking.  Otherwise, the code that protects activation detects a compatibility issue with Spyware Doctor and prevents you from uninstalling it (wacky, I agree).

Regarding returning to old XP, I have to say "sorry," that's outside my small scope of knowledge around Vista (I pretty much know only activation and genuine stuff).

Monday, October 30, 2006 6:06 PM
  • Dear Nir, I now have a similar problem (0x80080250) after having installed a dual-boot XP and Vista system.. which went wrong after a while, b/c I accidentally removed the boot.ini file from the XP partition. Anyway, reinstalling Vista on a partition causes this problem, although I really have a good license (MSDN-AA). So, what to do? I do not have any specific software installed that causes this problem, I think. Could you please help me?
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 7:58 PM
  • hi
    Friday, July 6, 2007 8:05 AM