Problem with Forum Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone noticed a problem over the last 24 hours with receiving email alerts on threads you've posted or replied? Mine has seemed to stop working and I'm trying to figure out why. I've reset my email address and many hours later I did receive a confirmation message but still the problem persists.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Friday, May 27, 2011 5:11 AM question about forum alerts (From:Word for Developers)
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:31 AM

Answers

• I understand the problem and we are working to fix this in the July 7th release. We don't really have the opportunity until then to get a fix out as that would side track other important work we are also targeting for the July 7th release. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Yup, notification service is half working, expect delays. We're working on it.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Cool...thanks, i've logged a bug to fix this. I also logged a design change to not show this option if the user hasn't set their email in my alerts which should help reduce confusion where users haven't set their email but keep selecting this dead option. Thanks for reporting this.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• +1

It's not you. I usually get between 10 and 20 alerts in the morning and certainly always more than one. This morning (Finnish time) there were none.

Plus I have just checked a thread which had an alert on it, where the alert worked yesterday. There was a new post in that thread 6+ hours ago but no Alert for it ...

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Yup, notification service is half working, expect delays. We're working on it.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Started working on Friday but broke down again about 6 - 9 hours ago.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

starting for me this morning every time i answering to a thread that i hadn't opened before the "Subscribed" icon, the golden bell, is missing and you cannot easy see them as before.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 11:13 AM
  • The problem has returned again. Yesterday June 10, 2011 afternoon around 4 pm ESDT all alerts stopped.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Sometime after 4 pm EDT June 10, 2011, the Forum alerts stopped working for me.  The bell does not appear on any reply I have made in the Word Developers, Excel Developers, and VSTO forums.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Sometime after 4 pm EDT June 10, 2011, the Forum alerts stopped working for me.

Do you still have an Email address registered for Alerts?   FWIW my problem is that it doesn't send me an E-mail to let me confirm that I still want mine registered.   Therefore, no alerts.

---

Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Yes, and I got this one from you. The problem seems to be isolated to some replies I made yesterday. I am receiving alerts on replies I made earlier in the week.

Let me try a test or two and I'll post back.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hi Robert,

The problem still exists today. On the Word for Developers forum and Excel for Developers my replies are not being marked for Alert, even though I have that checked and I'm getting yours here, and from replies made prior to yesterday.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I am also facing the same problem. I have raised a ticket with forum support team.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Yeah. Same problem. I have reproted internally to MSDN forum support.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:22 PM
  • There may be a few different problems being reported in this thread. Can you include a couple of urls to threads you are subscribed to but not getting alerts for?
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Brent,

starting with Friday new answered threads are'nt marked with "Alert me",
    see also: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/1745fac9-2982-4c52-a8da-843285a7acbe

Kind regards, Elmar

Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi Brent,

Here is one example from the Word for Developers forum. My response was marked as the answer and I never receive an alert from either the OP's reply or when he marked it as the answer.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/c8bbcff2-949d-4b5a-a904-f53e52c05b05

If the engineers need more examples, I have them.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Can you include a screen shot of what you are or or not seeing? There are a few reports of alerts and at this point, I don't understand what people are complaining about. So I'll need a screen shot or something I think.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 1:37 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

the alert bell is shown, if I choose "Alert Me" from a thread. But in My Settings the option "Always Alert Me By Default When I Post" is set, so the alert should be set by default, if I reply to a thread. This doesn't happen, since friday. 

@Meinolf: Can you try if this is the case for your problem? Can you set the "Alert Me" manually?

Thorsten Dörfler
    Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
    vb-faq.de
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Cool...thanks, i've logged a bug to fix this. I also logged a design change to not show this option if the user hasn't set their email in my alerts which should help reduce confusion where users haven't set their email but keep selecting this dead option. Thanks for reporting this.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, we'll log a bug to look into why this might be happening. Alerts seem to be working find for us/me/our test team at the moment. This could have been a temporary issue or we could have some weird bug around 'answered state' where we aren't alerting after a thread is closed as 'answered'.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:47 PM
    Answerer
  • I too have been having issues with the Alerts for the past
    few days. Posting to Visual C++ General, Visual C++ Language,
    and Visual C++ Express Editions. The problem is this:

My Settings are configured to "Always Alert".
    My correct email address is configured.

When I compose a reply in a forum, the "Alert Me" checkbox
    at the bottom is automatically checked. Posting is being
    done from an "expanded thread" using the "dropdown arrow".

After posting the reply, and refreshing the display of
    the forum threads, the message I just posted is NOT
    flagged for alerts. No "bell" icon shown.

I have to open the thread and click on the "Alert Me"
    link at the top left to activate alerts. After I do
    that, the bell icon shows in the forum threads.

Note that this just happened again with a message I
    posted to VC++ Express about 15 minutes before posting
    this message.

- Wayne

It also happened when I posted this message.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:56 PM
  • +another 1.

Now I will set this thread manually so that I get notified if there is any fix.

:-)

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Hello,

the "Alert me" is always enabled in my answers. I just didn't configure an email and that wasn't necessary before.

Here is a screenshot how it look at the moment in one of my forum pages:

http://eeddkq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p597RDOC_u69WOiMM-OTZd5xJcoF0cGX6QfoMlQxZRUIWduFkwyAIL1DgnmxSGH9_OIsUDPpbCo7pyHluRS7iXzA1u9PfT0UB/Alertbutton.png?psid=1

As you can see the Alert bell is missing on all threads answered from me, except an older one.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Ditto, I see it too.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:05 AM
  • So far i've used the Alert Me -feature only to enable the little "Alert bell" icon next to the thread title. What I don't want is an email for every event that happens on that thread. So I haven't set an alert email (probably causing that big yellow box with the text "We have recently changed our Forums Email Alerts.." to appear right under the FAQ link.) Now I have to click the "Alert Me" -link separately each time I reply to a thread just to get that icon showing up (which adds the alert but sends me to the forum preferences page for some reason.)

I suggest you add an I-have-a-post-in-this-thread icon by default. I can't think of any reason not to. Or then enable people to automatically set the alert whilst not forcing them to set the alert email.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:57 AM
  • I've been seeing this problem since last week as well.  I reply in the C# IDE forums and every time I do none of the threads get marked for alert.  I have to do it manually.  Just to make sure there wasn't some stale state I even went in and toggled the option in the settings and it still doesn't work.

Michael Taylor - 6/14/2011
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Yes, we have a bug on this and will be fixing it. Thanks for everyone's report.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:53 PM
    Answerer
  • YES!!!

Although I have it in my settings to always alert me by email about threads where I post, I'm not getting the alerts. Kind of embarassing when I reply to a question, then don't know if the OP answered back with results, more questions, etc.

Hope it's fixed soon.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hello,

any news about this? I (don't)see it in all forums that i am working on. This is really annoying.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:02 AM
    So how was this bug introduced because it was working fine before?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi Brent,

Any update on the status of the fix? Will you reply here when it is corrected?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Trying to get this into the july 7th release.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:30 AM
    Answerer
  • How was it introduced? Likely in the May release, missed by the test pass I guess. The "alert me when replying" when a user doesn't have an alert email not working has been around for about 10 months. We'll try to fix this in the July release (july 7th).
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:56 AM
    Answerer
  • I saw other posts on this same issue, but they are older posts. I believe this started happening about 2 -3 weeks ago. I can't recall anything changing on the machine to cause my original alert settings to stop working. Nothing I changed in My Settings, either. So I would send a re-conrmation email, click it, then get a successful validation, then post a response in a thread, and the automatic alerts do not work. I've been manually setting them.

I've tried completely clearing IE cache, logging out, clearing cache and cookies again, connect to the forums, log in, send a confirmation email, click on it, says successful, but it will still not set auto alerts.

Is it something with my account, or is something else going on?

Thank you,
    Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:15 AM
  • FYI, the auto alert for this post worked, but I think it was more on the fact that the checkmark was checked when I posted.

I just want to point out, I'm seeing this problem when I reply to posts, not creating new ones.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hello Brent,

this applies also to the missing subscribed icon?

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not getting email notification whenever there is an update in the threads that I reply to. I'm getting only notification when the post is marked as answer.

--Cheers
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Please see the other threads on this subject:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/ae4eb91b-472b-4e0b-ad89-7d985d95304e

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/1745fac9-2982-4c52-a8da-843285a7acbe

I agree that it's annoying and counterproductive, to say the least.

Seems we have to wait (and hope) for the July 7th software update.

My situation has become worse over time. I used to get *some* of the alerts I should be getting, but over the past two days, I've received none at all. By manually searching subscribed threads, I know I should have received at least 15.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Sorry if I sound unappreciative, but I'm seeing a disturbing trend resulting from this issue.

I'm now seeing more and more of the questions to which I've responded recently NOT being revisited by the OP's, so my suggestions are not being read. I'm thinking that's because many of these posters do not lurk in the forums waiting for a respons, but go on about their lives *depending* on the Alerts system to let them know when they have a response.

If this continues for the next three weeks, how many posters (with what are to them, important issues) will be wondering why "Microsoft" doesn't care about them? I have to wonder how badly the credibility of the Forums will have been damaged?

I'll leave it to you to connect the dots about the cost/benefit ratio to Microsoft of credible forums.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:17 PM
  • <<I'm now seeing more and more of the questions to which I've responded recently NOT being revisited by the OP's, so my suggestions are not being read.>>

How are you determining this? How are you concluding activity your are/are not seeing is the result of this specific bug? 

Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:09 PM
    Answerer
  • It's an unscientific judgement on my part. I'm looking through the threads I joined through my profile and noticing the trend. I believe that when people post a question and see the alert option, they assume they will be alerted to responses. That's how I kept track of things in the forums until recently.

In the past (before the nonalert issue came up), it was uncommon for somebody to post a request for help with an issue such as inability to install a needed .NET Framework, get a response with a request for more information and/or suggested steps to fix the problem, then just disappear. These people are frustrated and post looking for help.

Before the issue, most people who asked for help would try the offered fix and then post back with results. Now, the landscape is littered with threads where an issue was described, help was offered, and then... nothing.

I'm guessing the difference is that the OP's were not alerted to a reply. Seems llike a reasonable supposition to me.

I'm sorry if you found my post offensive. It was not intended to be.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:48 PM
  • I understand the problem and we are working to fix this in the July 7th release. We don't really have the opportunity until then to get a fix out as that would side track other important work we are also targeting for the July 7th release. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, same problem.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:03 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi All,

I am not able to view the new threads automatically and the alert bell on the threads which i had replied.

Also i am not receiving emails regarding new answers in the thread i replied to.

I checked my setting and everything is enabled.

Thanks and regards, Rishabh , Microsoft Community Contributor
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:43 AM
  • The alerts for the forums stopped recently. The "Always alert me by default when I post" is actually what is not working.  I no longer receive the email alerts unless I manually select the Alert Me on a thread. I have reset all of the settings, reconfirmed the email, etc..

Any suggestions? 

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Its been a few weeks now . Am I the only person not getting email alerts for the post replys on MSDN .I have to specifically hit on ADD Alert .. but since yesterday even hitting ADD ALERT is not helping ...

Hope not many are affected ...

Regards .

Abhay Chaudhary OCP 9i, MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2005 BI) ms-abhay.blogspot.com/
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:45 AM
  • No alerts, and I see that the threads I reply to aren't marked for me to be alerted. Makes me wonder how many replies I have missed over the last some weeks...?
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Monday, July 4, 2011 12:25 PM
  • So , others are also affected ...I have started getting the alerts now ...But will keep observing for the next couple of days ...

Abhay Chaudhary OCP 9i, MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2005 BI) ms-abhay.blogspot.com/
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Still same issue which Tibor is facing ..
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:57 PM
  • I have propably same problem. I have marked Alert me when somebody respond in Settings and also in forum thread but no Alert come to my e-mail or Messenger. Sometimes arrives from old threads, but also from only someone.

Sometimes help check log in and loug out from receiveing alert.

Monday, July 4, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Marking answers to close the thread.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:49 AM
    Owner