Problems with backup, stopped working (win 7 ultimate 64 bit) RRS feed

• Question

• As I'm new to whs, I'm not really sure where to start with this one. 2 days ago, my backup stopped working on one of my computers. Both manual and automatic backup will end up with errors.
    Fully updated win7 ultimate (Swedish) 64 bit, and fully updated whs PP3.
    Other computers seems to be working.
    I do get an error in the event log, but it really doesn't help me much. Any suggestions:

Backup of volume C: to HOMESERVER failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070017): Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070017)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

• I think I might have found what is causing this. In the win 7 logs, I found that I have trouble with clusters on HDD0. I'd like to issue a warning here. I haven't seen a single warning regarding this. If win 7 is capable of logging the HDD errors, why not tell the user that something is wrong?
    Also, I'd prefer if whs could find logs like this on the client and alert me, as this could just as well have been one of the computers I'm not using very often.
    Anyway, will post back if this solves my problem.
    • Marked as answer by Bjurran Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• I think I might have found what is causing this. In the win 7 logs, I found that I have trouble with clusters on HDD0. I'd like to issue a warning here. I haven't seen a single warning regarding this. If win 7 is capable of logging the HDD errors, why not tell the user that something is wrong?
    Also, I'd prefer if whs could find logs like this on the client and alert me, as this could just as well have been one of the computers I'm not using very often.
    Anyway, will post back if this solves my problem.
    • Marked as answer by Bjurran Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Hi,
    this is something I never understood - that any version of Windows (including the server versions!) hides informations about bad sectors on the disk in the event log, until it is too late.
    And yes, faulty sectors on a client disk may affect Volume Shadow Copies and so cause WHS backup to fail.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:11 PM
  • The bad clusters was the answer to this.
    I totally aggree with you here Olaf, as a windows user, I'm getting used to all sorts of strange error messages all the time. I really can't understand why something as important like this is being hidden. Really, how many "normal" users have ever checked the event viewer? At least, if my drive dies, I'll hopefully be able to restore it all from whs, but most people don't have whs yet and will probably end up with lost data.
    Anyway, I just performed a manual backup and it's working again.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:41 PM