Error starting the console (feature failed) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I searched all over the forums and google for a solution, but none of them work.

The problem:
    Every time I try to open the console, I get this message:
    "The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."
    And it gives me an option to retry or skip.
    If I click Skip, it loads up with the SHARED FOLDERS tab missing. If I click retry, the console shows up properly.
    I am opening the console via Remote Desktop. If I use the Console with the Connector software, it takes about 2-5 minutes of the green bar loading. After that, the same error message pops up with the same choicse. And the results are the same.

Solution attempts:
    I ran chkdsk on everything, and it all checked out fine. No errors, no bad sectors.
    I checked the SMART details on every drive, and there's no problems at all.
    I uninstalled all add-ins. (FWIW, the only add-ins I used were Disk Management and Home Server SMART.)

Here is the log generated every time I try to start the console:
    -----------------
    Created at 3/11/2010 6:27:36 AM
    ***** Started at 3/11/2010 6:27:36 AM ***
    ***** Started at 3/11/2010 6:27:36 AM ***
    [1]100311.062740.2187: UI: Error: Unfinished DLL: HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll.  User chose to retry.
    [1]100311.062740.7187: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]100311.062740.7343: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]100311.062740.7343: Error: Client 7e635210-c4c0-4a22-a484-18da14609a39 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]100311.062740.7343: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 7e635210-c4c0-4a22-a484-18da14609a39
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]100311.062740.7656: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [7]100311.062740.9218: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [5]100311.062740.9218: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [7]100311.062740.9218: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]100311.062741.0781: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100311.062741.1093: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl.WMCFolder..ctor(Image i, UIExposedShare qsmShare, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.HomeServerSettingsExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)

[1]100311.062741.1250: Error: Problem with Home Server Console Tab DLL HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll while loading HomeServerSettingsExtender: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl.WMCFolder..ctor(Image i, UIExposedShare qsmShare, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.HomeServerSettingsExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)
    [7]100311.062743.9218: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [7]100311.062743.9218: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]100311.062744.0781: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]100311.062744.0781: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [8]100311.062750.9218: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [16]100311.062811.9218: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]100311.062845.1875: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100311.062846.2031: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    -------------------------

So at this point, I have no idea what to do or what further troubleshooting measures to take.
    I'd appreciate any help or solutions that I've yet to try. Thanks.

**I've updated the server to the latest via automatic updates. PP3, etc.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• Probably your best bet is going to be server recovery. If you have an OEM server this will be covered in your manuals. If your server is self-built, then take a look at this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Is there another method or way to enter the server recovery?
    I have the system partition of WHS on a <65GB drive. The setup portion won't let me progress beyond saying I need a larger drive.

On a side note, when I was updating the server at the start, the automatic updates downloads and attempts to install Internet Explorer. Is that right?
    Also, during the update process, it was a bit buggy too. The Console's updates were different from the built-in automatic updates. Which was I suppose to use?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Is there another method or way to enter the server recovery?
    I have the system partition of WHS on a <65GB drive. The setup portion won't let me progress beyond saying I need a larger drive.

On a side note, when I was updating the server at the start, the automatic updates downloads and attempts to install Internet Explorer. Is that right?
    Also, during the update process, it was a bit buggy too. The Console's updates were different from the built-in automatic updates. Which was I suppose to use?
    There is only one way to enter server recovery, I'm afraid. How did you get the system partition onto that drive, considering (as you've learned) setup won't let you do that? Can you tell us more about your server? I'm particularly interested in any customizations you've done outside of those that Windows Home Server itself exposes.

Friday, March 12, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I prefer to put my system drive on an SSD for better reliability. So I basically copied the 20gb setup partition over, from a >65GB drive to the smaller one, before the 2003 server setup began. I had a weird issue after automatic updates where it wanted to activate windows again. It activated fine, just doesn't make sense that I needed to do it again. And again, the automatic updates thing is really flaky. I dunno what the deal with that is.

You'd think $150 piece of software would come with more tools, or at least have a smarter design. Oh well, thanks for the help, and letting me know of M$'s failure. I'll do a re-install and see if the problem gets solved.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 10:23 PM
  • It's not "M$'s failure" in this case, I'm afraid. Subverting the installation process the way you did is the reason you don't get the recovery option. What you did is unsupported, requires other (also unsupported) tweaks, and (unsurprisingly) causes problems with the installation. You implicitly accept the possibility that you'll have problems down the road when you choose to step outside the bounds of what the product is designed to do.

My advice is to try backing up the data in your shares to other storage (see this FAQ for more information), then buy a larger system drive and see if A) you get the recovery option, and if B) the recovery option actually works (I'm not certain it will).

As for updates, use the Update button in the console. You'll get high priority updates, which is all your server needs if used as designed.

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:54 PM
  • I'm having a hard time understanding how it would cause an issue. With the exception of what drive the data is on, the data is a 1:1 copy from the original.
    To add on that, the first 3 weeks were problem free. Never any issues at all. The only issue now, is the console starting up. Thinking back, this started around the same time I first used the backup feature for the first time.
    My best guess is when I updated the server. I used both the console and the control panel automatic updates. After fully updating through the console, the automatic updates via control panel wanted to download more updates, despite the console saying the server is fully up to date. And why it wants to install Internet Explorer 7 and 8 on a server is beyond me.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:33 PM
  • I'm having a hard time understanding how it would cause an issue. With the exception of what drive the data is on, the data is a 1:1 copy from the original.
    To add on that, the first 3 weeks were problem free. Never any issues at all. The only issue now, is the console starting up. Thinking back, this started around the same time I first used the backup feature for the first time.
    My best guess is when I updated the server. I used both the console and the control panel automatic updates. After fully updating through the console, the automatic updates via control panel wanted to download more updates, despite the console saying the server is fully up to date. And why it wants to install Internet Explorer 7 and 8 on a server is beyond me.
    There should not be any High-Priority updates shown from the server desktop once your server is up-to-date through the Console.  (Yes, there will be Software, Optional updates, but those have been known to break various functions of WHS and why they aren't installed in the first place, not to mention that's one of the many reasons why logging into the server desktop is unsupported.)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:46 PM
  • So, umm, Windows Home Server does "novel" things as regards disk and file management, wants the system drive partitioned to hold a 20 GB SYS partition and a DATA partition that's the rest of the drive, and you interrupted and tweaked setup in ways Microsoft didn't envision (and will certainly not have tested) to prevent it from getting the environment it needs. As a result, partitions aren't where and what Windows Home Server expects. I don't have any trouble believing that's the source of your problems today. Do you, really?

I still think you should recover the data off your server (as a precaution), replace the SSD with a real drive that's large enough to use as the system drive, and try another recovery. If the recovery doesn't work, your only option will be a new installation, in which case that backup will come in handy.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:52 AM
    There should not be any High-Priority updates shown from the server desktop once your server is up-to-date through the Console.  (Yes, there will be Software, Optional updates, but those have been known to break various functions of WHS and why they aren't installed in the first place, not to mention that's one of the many reasons why logging into the server desktop is unsupported.)
    I had to login to the desktop to install drivers for some RAID cards. And PP1 didn't support Windows 7. But that makes sense now, I did install every update available.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:45 AM