Windows Explorer Selected File(s) Inactive Background Color RRS feed

• Question

• I just have a quick question about Windows Explorer (in XP, but should be roughly the same in all versions).

For work I am frequently working with large lists of files in Windows Explorer, performing various operations on the files as deemed necessary, but almost always in a sequential series one at a time.

Does anyone know how to change the color of the background color for the selected item when the window is inactive?  I am frequently flipping back and forth between Explorer and the associated program and the default color (a very light off-grey) is hard to distinguish from the unselected items (especially in Detail view).

I tried looking in the standard location (Display Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced) but none of those items seem to effect the actual contents of the Windows Explorer windows.

I also tried searching around on the internet and all I could find related to my query is a few 3rd party programs that allow you to change all the colors as you desire, but that is not a good solution as we are discurraged from installing software on these computers at work. 

There has to be some registry key I can tweak that will allow me to change it to a darker color.
    If anyone out there can help, it would be a boost to my productivity and help save my eyesight.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Ektdeheba

*edit*
    Not sure why this was dropped in the Genuine Advantage forum, I selected 'Feedback and comments' category on the forum post, so very sorry for dropping this in the wrong forum, but still would appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks.
    • Edited by Ektdeheba Monday, September 22, 2008 4:16 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ektdeheba,
    This forum is for feedback related to Microsoft's Genuine Advantage program, and as such does not address techincal questions such as the one you pose. I recommend visiting the Microsoft Windows XP Community site and newsgroup. You should be able to get an answer to your question in one of those two locations.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 5:09 PM
    • Edited by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 5:10 PM Corrected typo
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:09 PM

All replies

• I have cross-posted this in http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp as it seems that this is not the proper location to ask questions about Microsoft support issues...
    But then I guess that brings up another question, WHERE is one supposed to go to ask official Microsoft related issues?  I only posted here because I was linked here from the support.microsoft.com website as a place to: "Ask questions and get answers in Microsoft's technical forums, devoted to many of Microsoft's IT professional- and developer-focused products and technologies".
    This question is not worth $59 to call up Microsoft tech support, and I seriously doubt that anyone I contacted on the phone would have enough technical expertise to even know how to research a solution to my question.
    I know that Microsoft has always been seriously lacking in customer service, but they could at least link you to a support forum that is somewhat related to your issues.

Thanks,
    And sorry again for posting in the wrong community, it did not say anything about 'Genuine Advantage' when I selected the location in the drop-down list.
    ~Ektdeheba

• Unmarked as answer by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 5:09 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi Ektdeheba,
    This forum is for feedback related to Microsoft's Genuine Advantage program, and as such does not address techincal questions such as the one you pose. I recommend visiting the Microsoft Windows XP Community site and newsgroup. You should be able to get an answer to your question in one of those two locations.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Edited by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 5:10 PM Corrected typo
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:09 PM