Large file transfers from widows home server to another 2003 server slow then fail RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dell optiplex 260 running WHS, PP2, with a pool of 3 drives (2 IDE and one SATA) totaling 1.1 TB.  The ATA drive is 1 TB. 

Several days ago I copied my entire medial library (233 gig) from an external drive attached to a server 2003 machine to the WHS.  This took many hours but completed without any issues. 

I then formatted the external to NTFS and attempted to copy the 233 gig back onto it.  Each attempt to copy the folder starts off fast then begins to slow dramatically.  Soon the WHS becomes completely unresponsive and unavailable on the network.  If I wait a long time (hour or more) it eventually returns to normal.

Here is what I have tried:

Initiating the copy from the WHS system to the 2003 server.  This exhibits the same behavior with a little more graceful failure in that I eventually receive an error message saying "Cannot copy file... the device is not ready".   I have monitored the resources through out this process and verified that CPU usage jumps quickly up to 90-100% as the transfer rate slows way down.

I have updated the NIC drivers on the WHS machine (they were out of date by many years) with no change.

I have tested the ability of the destination drive to accept data by copying a large amount from the local machine it is attached to with success. 

I have read many very similar posts and have yet to find a solution. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hah, I have not resolved the issue but I have confirmed that it is hard ware related and is not the hard drive. 

I took out the 1 TB drive and mounted it in another system.  there was all my data which I copied off to the external with ho issue whatsoever.  The drive is fine. However, when I put back in the WHS it is not even recognized by the OS let alone the WHS drive management stuff. There are a couple potential points of failure between the mother board and the drive.  The PC slot I have the SATA controller in and the SATA controller itself.  I am going to focus my energy there but close this thread as it is confirmed to not be a WHS problem.

Thanks to all who posted in response.

• Marked as answer by ssullivan32 Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:59 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• I have a dell optiplex 260 running WHS, PP2, with a pool of 3 drives (2 IDE and one SATA) totaling 1.1 TB.  The ATA drive is 1 TB. 

Several days ago I copied my entire medial library (233 gig) from an external drive attached to a server 2003 machine to the WHS.  This took many hours but completed without any issues. 

I then formatted the external to NTFS and attempted to copy the 233 gig back onto it.  Each attempt to copy the folder starts off fast then begins to slow dramatically.  Soon the WHS becomes completely unresponsive and unavailable on the network.  If I wait a long time (hour or more) it eventually returns to normal.

Here is what I have tried:

Initiating the copy from the WHS system to the 2003 server.  This exhibits the same behavior with a little more graceful failure in that I eventually receive an error message saying "Cannot copy file... the device is not ready".   I have monitored the resources through out this process and verified that CPU usage jumps quickly up to 90-100% as the transfer rate slows way down.

I have updated the NIC drivers on the WHS machine (they were out of date by many years) with no change.

I have tested the ability of the destination drive to accept data by copying a large amount from the local machine it is attached to with success. 

I have read many very similar posts and have yet to find a solution. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Are you using a Server 2003 driver for your NIC on WHS?  If not, which OS is it for?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:23 PM
  • I went to Intel and downloaded the install package that had drivers for my NIC and purportedly, XP and Server 2003.  In the end it seemed to install the correct one.  Let me know if there are specific driver details you could use to help determine this.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:34 AM
  • I went to Intel and downloaded the install package that had drivers for my NIC and purportedly, XP and Server 2003.  In the end it seemed to install the correct one.  Let me know if there are specific driver details you could use to help determine this.

I wonder if you are having issues with the NIC in your Server 2003 box (not WHS).  Do you have another PC you can connect the external drive to, then copy the files from WHS to that computer?  You could also try running chkdsk /r on your external drive as well as your server hard drives (although I don't think that would be the problem because you would probably experience issues copying in both directions instead of just one).
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:00 AM
  • That was a good Idea but no luck.  I plugged the external into another, decidedly more moderm system and started the file copy.  The same thing happened.  Any other ideas?
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:38 AM
  • Can you check your Windows Home Server and see if one or more drives is running in PIO mode? Very slow performance coupled with high CPU may be indicative of a disk problem...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:11 PM
  • In the device manager, under primary and secondary IDE channel, the transfer mode on the advanced tab is set to "DMA if available".  Neither is set to PIO only.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Keep them coming. 

It is worth noting that File transfer between any two other computers on the network works fine.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:54 PM
    • Connect the external drive to your server, but don't add it to the storage pool.
    • Log in to your server using remote desktop (note: this is unsupported, and depending on what you're doing can be risky, but in this case will be harmless).
    • Open up the shortcut to the shares on the server desktop.
    • Try to copy from the shares to your external drive.
    If you get bad performance, it's likely to be a problem with the external drive. To eliminate the network stack entirely, try copying from D:\Shares\etc. to the external drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Interesting results on that one.  When I connect the drive to the WHS and copy from shares to the external directly without involving the network card I get further through the file, but it still eventually fails with the error message, "Cannot copy file... the device is not ready."  The main difference is that the WHS does not seem to hang so badly after the failure the way it does when I try to do this over the network.

If your supposition is true this would cast doubt on the external drive, however, I thought I had ruled that out by testing the transfer of some large files to that drive from the 2003 server without a hitch.  Granted it was not the same files that seem to fail, and they were not as large overall.

I am going to try and copy that same large data set to another share on a completely different system and see what happens.  If it works then it is the drive, if it fails then it is definitely the WHS.

Thanks for all of your help, I will post my findings.

Monday, October 12, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Well that was quick.  I tried to copy the data to another system on the same network and it failed right away with the hang behavior.  The WHS is very unresponsive right now and will take an hour or so to come back. 

Please correct me if I am wrong but this series of tests seem to point to the WHS as being the problem, but not the Networking components.  The loss of network connectivity etc seems to be a symptom of the failure, not the cause.

I am not sure where to go next with this.  Again, thanks for the help from both of you.

Monday, October 12, 2009 5:59 AM
  • I have seen this behavior with Windows Server 2003 systems especially with IDE disks. This caused Windows Explorer to consume more and more memory, until the system was not responding any more. Since this in my experience happened also while copying large files locally on the disk, either the mass storage drivers or the controller was the assumed cause, but I never could figure this out on the test machines I had.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I am going to try and use robocopy next, thereby cutting out windows explorer.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Robocopy did a lot better than windows explorer in that it copied 57 of the 233 gig of data.  The system went down hard in a similar way to previous attempts.  It is worth pointing out that the this was a copy from a local chare to a USB disk attached to the WHS but not added to the pool. This rules out NIC, Windows explorer, and possibly more.

Next I am going to run memcheck and disk diagnostics unless someone has a better idea. 

Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Have you checked event logs around the time the transfers fail? If not please do, you'll may find some useful info there.

Could be storage drivers for the SATA disk. You could try and remove the SATA disk from the WHS console (if you have enough free space on the other disks), reboot, in system BIOS set SATA drive to run in IDE mode, boot, add drive to pool, then try again.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Before making any new attempts to copy I cleared the event logs.  After the failure I looked through them and found 14 of these Warnings in a row.

wuaueng.dll (844) SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" at offset 55296 (0x000000000000d800) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (91 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 331 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Before these I found three errors like this one:

Fault bucket 1199828457.

Each followed by an information message like this:

Reporting queued error: faulting application vssvc.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module vssvc.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0008728f.

I have seen these fault bucket messages before but I cannot find any information on what they mean.

Friday, October 16, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Please try:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service (Start, run, type services.msc, Hit Enter, then stop the service)
    2. Delete or rename  C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log and restart the service.

If that doesn't fix it please try running chkdsk on all drives in your server as explained in the FAQ How to check all the drives in your server for errors
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Thanks Brubber, but, things have gone from bad to worse.  Now the WHS console shows the 1 TB drive as being missing.  At this point I am assuming it has been a error with the drive.  My top priority now is to recover the data on that drive.  I have 233 gigs of media there and it exists no where else!

If I remove the drive and mount it in another system, (assuming I can get it to work), will it contain a readable file system from which I could recover some of the data?

I am very desparate as it represents several years of media.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:17 AM
  • If you can mount the drive the data should be in a HIDDEN folder "DE" in the root of the drive/partition. Please note you need to enable "view hidden files and folders".

Next time best use duplication for your shared folders, this prevents disaster in case of single drive failure.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:58 AM
  • In detail the procedure how to gain access to data is also described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Thanks for the info Guys.  This is the only drive in the system large enough for that data.  I have indeed leaned my lesson.  In the future, I will get another 1tb drive and always turn on duplication.

When I have worked this out and have a new hard drive in the system, I will verify that my original problem was a bad drive then come back and either close or continue this thread.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Unmarked as answer by ssullivan32 Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:59 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hah, I have not resolved the issue but I have confirmed that it is hard ware related and is not the hard drive. 

I took out the 1 TB drive and mounted it in another system.  there was all my data which I copied off to the external with ho issue whatsoever.  The drive is fine. However, when I put back in the WHS it is not even recognized by the OS let alone the WHS drive management stuff. There are a couple potential points of failure between the mother board and the drive.  The PC slot I have the SATA controller in and the SATA controller itself.  I am going to focus my energy there but close this thread as it is confirmed to not be a WHS problem.

Thanks to all who posted in response.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:59 AM