IBM thinkpad already had version of Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

•    Ok, this one takes a couple of minutes to explain, and here goes.

I'm a remote telecommuter with an IBM Thinkpad with WindowsXP.   I back up the machine with Dantz Retrospect.   I don't actually backup the machine, rather I duplicate it.    Note: my employer will not let us keep a hard copy of Windows XP on hand if anything breaks.

The original 30G drive on the machine was going flaky, so I replaced it with an 80G drive.   During the install of the 80G it prompted me to add the OS.      In order to do this, I had to use a legal copy of Windows from another of my machines.  (From a Dell).

I figured that this would not be an issue since I was going to restore the original copy of Windows XP

Once the new hard drive was and running, I installed Retrospect on it and duplicated/restored a copy of the original 30G version onto the machine, which contained the original copy of WindowsXP 

Now I'm getting an error that I have an unregistered machine.

What do I need to do to fix this?  Thank you.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Work_ThinkPad,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Antron-

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, December 26, 2008 6:06 PM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 7:34 PM