none
Forums list rendering issue RRS feed

• Question

• I use this view a lot. (not to imply its only this view)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=usingforums&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

and at times I need just a single forum so reach up for the View-All in left pane and uncheck-all and select the single forum, then Submit, get the spinner and the page builds. Then if I try to expand carat any of the threads nothing happens. Only solution seems to be to F5 (refresh) the IE window. I think this happens every time. Same thing happens going the other way to re-check all. Anyone else notice this?

IE11 Windows 7 SP1 x64

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:29 AM

Answers

• Only solution seems to be to F5 (refresh) the IE window.

You can also click on the Forum link.  That switches to just a forum URL without those extra filtering values that you had.  I don't know if their effect is preserved in another way.

So, if that is good enough, it looks as if you could just click on that forum in the sidebar.  Then we get an unusual effect.  The other forums are still listed there but given a ghosting treatment.  Clicking on the one unghosted forum restores a filter for them all.  Clicking on a different one switches to just that one.

So, the only thing to be determined is whether the effect of those extra URL values is lost by doing the above.   Otherwise, another alternative would be using the sidebar and appending the &filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc  to each one as you switch to it.  It would probably be possible to do that with a Favlet (e.g. Favorites bar button) if necessary.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:46 AM
  • UPDATE: This is a known issue that the product team is currently working on.

No ETA on the fix, but it's in the pipeline.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:09 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I hadn't noticed this before, but I can confirm this behavior.

Pale Moon 24.6.2 Win7 SP1 x64

EDIT: Also happens with Chrome (latest).

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:37 AM
  • Mike thanks for checking that out. I appreciate it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:47 AM
  • Cheers Dave.

This also happens in IE11 on Win8.1.1 and IE10 on WS2012 as well. Refreshing the page does allow the threads to be expanded. On the other hand, IE9 on WS2008SP2 won't expand the threads even after a refresh...

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:52 AM
  • I'll try some other OSs as well this weekend.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:22 AM
  • Still an issue? We had troubles rendering the lists earlier this week. Most issues are fixed now.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:17 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, yes it still works this way.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:27 PM
  • I got confused. Took me a moment to figure out this was the View All forum select menu.

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:56 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, yes that's correct.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Or actually no. I'm still in the View All dialog so I uncheck all and select the single forum.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:01 PM
  • I can verify this too.

Repro:

1. Go to a full category: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=usingforums&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc
    2. Click View All on the left, above the "Please select a forum" gray search box.
    3. Deselect all categories - Click Select all twice.
    4. Select one category. Click Submit.
    5. Try to expand the carat next to any of the threads. Nothing happens.

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:04 PM
    Owner
  • Okay. I submitted this as a bug request. Thanks, Dave!

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:07 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, thanks. Yes that's it exactly. Same thing going the other way to select all again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:07 PM

Thanks!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:09 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, great. Thanks for the update Ed!

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, August 1, 2014 1:19 AM
  • Only solution seems to be to F5 (refresh) the IE window.

You can also click on the Forum link.  That switches to just a forum URL without those extra filtering values that you had.  I don't know if their effect is preserved in another way.

So, if that is good enough, it looks as if you could just click on that forum in the sidebar.  Then we get an unusual effect.  The other forums are still listed there but given a ghosting treatment.  Clicking on the one unghosted forum restores a filter for them all.  Clicking on a different one switches to just that one.

So, the only thing to be determined is whether the effect of those extra URL values is lost by doing the above.   Otherwise, another alternative would be using the sidebar and appending the &filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc  to each one as you switch to it.  It would probably be possible to do that with a Favlet (e.g. Favorites bar button) if necessary.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Rob actually this might be a way to work with it. I had noticed this function a while ago but never really experimented with it. Now I'll give this a go.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:15 PM

Thanks!

I think this was fixed at some point.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, September 6, 2014 3:50 AM
  • So, if that is good enough, it looks as if you could just click on that forum in the sidebar.  Then we get an unusual effect.  The other forums are still listed there but given a ghosting treatment.  Clicking on the one unghosted forum restores a filter for them all.  Clicking on a different one switches to just that one.

Rob, thanks, this actually works quite well, been using this method for the past month.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, September 6, 2014 3:51 AM
  • I think this was fixed at some point.

Yep, seems to be working for me as well.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Saturday, September 6, 2014 4:07 AM