I am not able to start the WHS console. WHS is reporting that the Backup service is not running. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...
    I know I am a rookie ...I have searched the forum trying to find an answer to my problem...
    I have found a few similar problems but none which seems to be identical.

My shared folders have disappeared
    On WHS  the D: drive is not accessible.  It reports that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I am not able to start the WHS console.  WHS is reporting that the Backup service is not running.

When restarting WHS I am told that the OS
    encountered a problem and needed to close.
       The error signature reads:
          szAppName : demigrator.exe szAppVer : 6.0.2423.0 szModName : deutil.dll
          szModVer : 6.0.2423.0 offset : 0001a308

I have 4 physical disks in my WHS (one of which is not added).  The disks seem to be fine.  Diskmanagement states that they are healthy.

I have no idea on how to get my data back...
    I would really appreciate if anyone would be able to help me out with some good advice....

Thank you
    Bjorn

Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:26 PM

All replies

• Log into your server using Remote Desktop and run chkdsk on all your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:04 PM
  • I have run your chkdsk script.
    chkdsk reports that is is unable to determine volume version and state for D:....which makes sense since D: is unavailable.

If I schedule the volume to be checked after the next restart,  chkdsk reports that "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."
    The script is run on:
    C:\
    C:\fs\1K
    C:\fs\1I

If don't scheduled the volume to be checked after the next restart: chkdsk reports that everything is OK with  C:\fs\1K and it reports "No Access" to C:\fs_1I

Thank you
    /Bjorn

Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:26 AM
  • I have run your chkdsk script.
    chkdsk reports that is is unable to determine volume version and state for D:....which makes sense since D: is unavailable.

If I schedule the volume to be checked after the next restart,  chkdsk reports that "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."
    The script is run on:
    C:\
    C:\fs\1K
    C:\fs\1I

If don't scheduled the volume to be checked after the next restart: chkdsk reports that everything is OK with  C:\fs\1K and it reports "No Access" to C:\fs_1I

Thank you
    /Bjorn

If you open My Computer, do you even see a D partition there?  If you open up the Disk Management MMC, do you see another partition next to the 20 GB C partition?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:43 AM
  • You may have suffered one or more hard drive failures. If "more than one" your HBA is also suspect. (I say this because both your D: drive and the drive associated with mount point C:\FS\1I have apparently gone missing.)

Best bet right now is to shut your server down, pull each drive individually from your server, and run chkdsk /r on them using some other computer. For the system drive, check both partitions (again). You should also review this FAQ , which lays out data loss risks in a single drive failure scenario. (In a multiple drive failure scenario, where the drives have truly failed, data loss is almost inevitable.) If it turns out that you've only lost one drive (probably your system drive) you should be able to replace it with a new drive and use the recovery mode of Windows Home Server installation (it will be an additional option on the screen where you're asked what kind of installaiton you want to do) to recover your server and reintegrate your current storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:56 AM
  • When I open My Computer, I see the D partition. 
    When I open up the Disk Magement MMC I see the D: partition next to the 20 C partition.  Both the C: and D: partition is marked as healty.   in MMC
    I can access the C partition; but when try to access the D partition My Computer reports "D:\ is not accessible.  The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I know see and understand that my data actually is available under the c:\fs folder...even though D:\ is unavailable so I started making a backup of my files to another computer....

/B

Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:37 AM
  • It doesn't seem like there is a problem with C:\FS\1I
    Chkdsk runs sucessfully when scheduled...it also seems like all my data is available in both the C:\FS\1I and C:\FS\1K folders.
    I can access the C:\FS\1I folder and data from My Computer but it seems like the drive cannot be locked when running chkdsk unscheduled.
    If chkdsk is run unscheduled chkdsk reports that everything is OK with  C:\fs\1K and it reports "No Access" to C:\fs_1I

After making backup copies of my data I will try pulling out the drives and run chkdsk /r on another computer

Thank you
    /Bjorn

Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:50 AM