Is Windows Live Custom Domains server down? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm having a problem with WHS (full OEM) not being able to update the Custom Domains server with my current IP address.   Currently, under Remote Access, router configuration details reports it was able to configure my router but fails at "Verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections" and "Verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections."

The Domain Name Details fails on the first test, "Verifying your Internet connection to Windows Live" and details is showing my Web Site IP Address as 0.0.0.0.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with my  router as I can reach my web site externally by simply using my IP address.

I've tried changing my domain name, resetting my router, I even tried a different router and nothing has helped.  This problem has been persisting now since December 6 and yet I cannot seem to find any notice or reference to the Custom Domains server(s) being down.

Please help,

- Dave D.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:37 PM

Answers

• David

Unfortunately the Windows Live domain can be flakey at the best of times - there have been numerous posts over the last few months about people not able to connect to them, then suddenly a few days later it all working. This primarly seems to happen around weekends! I would suggest you just keep trying and its likely to magically resolves itself if its the same issue as before.

Andrew

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:25 PM

All replies

• David

Unfortunately the Windows Live domain can be flakey at the best of times - there have been numerous posts over the last few months about people not able to connect to them, then suddenly a few days later it all working. This primarly seems to happen around weekends! I would suggest you just keep trying and its likely to magically resolves itself if its the same issue as before.

Andrew

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:25 PM
  • That's not terribly helpful.  What I would like to know is if in fact anyone else is having this problem right now and if so, what is being done to remedy it, and if not, what should I be looking at to remedy it myself.

Specifically, is this a problem with Microsoft's servers involved or is my system failing to connect or report itself correctly.

Further, this flaky up and down behaviour, if that is what is happening, may have been alright during beta testing, even expected.  Considering this is a paid for product though, I'd expect a little more stability and more support from Microsoft.

However, this forum seems to be about all we have for support at this juncture.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Yeah, I know its not terribly helpful, but unfortunately thats all there is. The problem you described has happened a lot over the last few months, and the only remedy has been that eventually the problem goes away and then reappears for others at a later stage.

The problem was to do with MS servers - what they did or do to fix the problem I dont know as we have never had any sort of response on this, only that eventually it works again and so the people with the problem are happy.

This problem only affects people during the initial configuration stages, not once its set up.

The Windows Live Custom Domains are a seperate part of MS, and are not the responsibilty of the WHS team unfortunately.

I agree, its not acceptable but I am not sure what else we can do about it.

Andrew

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  Charrion wrote:

You must remember, this is an OEM software release, that means YOU are the support. If you want and need support, buy a machine from HP.

Cruise

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:47 PM
  •  Cruiseman wrote:
     Charrion wrote:

You must remember, this is an OEM software release, that means YOU are the support. If you want and need support, buy a machine from HP.

Cruise

Now there's a laugh, have you ever tried to get support from HP?  Besides, even an OEM needs some support in order to provide said support to the end user and that would involve an answer from MS as to what is going on with the product and/or service.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:56 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

This problem only affects people during the initial configuration stages, not once its set up.

What do you mean by that?  This problem only occurs during initial setup of the specific home server or during initial configuration of the service?  If you mean the former, then there is something else wrong as my server has been up and running for over a month now and working well until this weekend.  I have noticed the occasional "port forwarding' error that clears up moments later, but this is the first time I've encountered this problem that fails to resolve itself several days later.

The Windows Live Custom Domains are a seperate part of MS, and are not the responsibilty of the WHS team unfortunately.

I agree, its not acceptable but I am not sure what else we can do about it.

There is something we can do, report the problem and demand it be resolved. And if MS cannot be arsed to help; help one another to resolve it ourselves.  That's what a community does, and a community is what this forum is.  Getting snarky like Cruiseman certainly isn't helpful.  We're here to help  one another, not tell people to sod off and buy our product elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant, Cruiseman's post set me off.  You've at least given me food for thought.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:08 PM
  • If you are having issues with the DDNS using the MS Live portion, you can always remote desktop into the server and install a DDNS software client for Windows.  I have tried using the TZO DDNS software (both V3.2 and Lite) and they work just fine. At least by doing this you can have a domain name as an alternate if the MS Live is belly up at the time

Of course, if you have a MediaSmart server from HP, you can simply unconfigure the MS Live domain and switch to using the TZO DDNS in the MediaSmart - it offers a free HP Personal Domain name, or you can select to use a custom domain name like YourHomeServer.com, etc

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:22 PM
  •  Charrion wrote:
    There is something we can do, report the problem and demand it be resolved. And if MS cannot be arsed to help; help one another to resolve it ourselves.  That's what a community does, and a community is what this forum is.  Getting snarky like Cruiseman certainly isn't helpful.  We're here to help  one another, not tell people to sod off and buy our product elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant, Cruiseman's post set me off.  You've at least given me food for thought.

While his post make have been very...direct, what he said is 100% correct in regards to support.  You agreed to the terms when you opened the box the OEM discs came in.  You can always call MS and pay them to help you though....

As for the Windows Live Domain issue, it has happened a couple times before (and, if I remember correctly, it was on the weekends as well).  I believe the problem was always fixed on Monday.  You'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to get the issue resolved.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  MyHomeServer.com wrote:
    Of course, if you have a MediaSmart server from HP, you can simply unconfigure the MS Live domain and switch to using the TZO DDNS in the MediaSmart - it offers a free HP Personal Domain name, or you can select to use a custom domain name like YourHomeServer.com, etc

I was wondering what happens to all of the security goodness with the GoDaddy SSL certificates if one starts using a domain from TZO? I was under the impression that the certificates were for the homeserver.com domain and none else. Is that true? If so, doesn't that mean that any MediaSmart servers running with an HP domain will continue to have the security warnings popping up. And what if you create a custom domain? I assume there's no support for certificates then.

If so, why would anyone chooses an HP domain over homeserver.com???

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:00 AM
  •  Charrion wrote:

My intent was not to set you off, however, many people here seem to get the impression that this is "RETAIL" software and therefore, support is expected. I just wanted to make sure you understood that this is OEM software and you are the support for your own machine using the software and anyone else that buys a machine from you with WHS on it.

The times I have used HP support in the past, they have been very helpful and resolved my problems to my satisfaction. No, I haven't got a HP server, but they seem to be the big boys on the block right now when it comes to WHS. So if support is a concern for the WHS user, I would suggest buying from them.

Cruise
    Monday, December 10, 2007 4:16 PM
  • I have had this same problem twice now.  I've only had WHS running a couple of weeks.  The first time it really had me going because it appeared to be a router issue but when I looked at my router everything was still configured correctly.  I checked my static IP on WHS and it was fine.  I rebooted and re-did the WHS settings/setup for remote web and finally it worked without me really changing anything (just redoing the same settings).  Then it happed again yesterday (sunday).  I'm basically doing this as a trial but at this point, with what I've seen, I'm going to keep running WHS until the trial is over but at this point, if I keep having 'issues', I think I'll just move a couple of the bigger hard drives into my main PC and use sync toys to clone all my important directories and call it good.  (Besides I don't have remote login to my main Vista Home premium PC anyway via WHS, another disappointment.)  I really am trying to like WHS but I just don't have the confidence that I can count on it, yet anyway.  In my mind, a backup server can't have these strange 'failures' it has to be rock solid.  I guess I would like to know if there are any traces or anything I can turn on that would help Microsoft fix this.  I would be willing to run a special version of WHS with additional internal tracing/debugging or anything so they can get WHS clean.  I could even mail them a USB drive with trace files if that's what it takes.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:11 PM
  •  

Well, it is Monday and sure enough the domain is registering fine. 

I'm sorry to all involved that I didn't believe it was the regular occasional down time of the Live Domains service, but it appeared to be different from previous experiences.

Nonetheless, this is not what I would call good service.  Yes, I understand that being the de facto OEM, I am responsible for support.  But as a retailer, this experience makes me rather reluctant to sell WHS machines because I can imagine the flood of support calls from customers when this happens.

Oh well, it is just fresh out of the gate, I'll just have to hope these outages become less frequent or MS provides some means of notifying people of impending outages.

/rant

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:57 AM
  • I think WHS dev need to address the error message.  The error message text is really deceiving and makes it sound like it's a router config issue, etc.  That error message is going to have users going nuts trying to figure out what's wrong.  To me that's also a real issue that needs to be addressed in this product.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:02 PM
  • I'm having the same issues. The last 2 steps of the router configurations don't pass.

1. verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections

2. verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections

I can hit the server fine locally (http://192.168.2.73) but once I hit the http://myname.homeserver.com it fails.

I even manually set up port forwarding for TCP 80, 443, 4125 . Still nothing.

I'm frustrated because I have no idea if it's my machine or MSFT servers having issues.

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Not sure if the MS Live domain names are having a problem but I see a few other threads that look like their DNS servers for HomeServer.com aren't that stable.  In order to troubleshoot, its best to leave the domain name out of the loop.  Best bet is to test locally (you've done that), then test with the WAN IP address, THEN test with the domain if the WAN IP works

For a comprehensive guide on troubleshooting remote access for your Windows Home Server or HP MediaSmart server, you can see our tutorial section at http://www.MyHomeServer.com

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:42 PM
  •  EricLa wrote:

I'm having the same issues. The last 2 steps of the router configurations don't pass.

1. verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections

2. verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections

I can hit the server fine locally (http://192.168.2.73) but once I hit the http://myname.homeserver.com it fails.

I even manually set up port forwarding for TCP 80, 443, 4125 . Still nothing.

I'm frustrated because I have no idea if it's my machine or MSFT servers having issues.

Mine was doing the same when I initially set it up. I turned off UPNP and manually configured the router/firewall to clear up the messages. Also, most ISPs block port 80 so try connecting to https instead of http after manually configuring your router/firwall (I didn't even bother setting up the port 80 forward).

HTH,

Peter

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:20 PM
  • I am having an issue similar to this when away from the house (off site) i have trouble connecting to the WHS web page be that http or https dosent really matter both exhibit the same problem at my house. If i keep trying i can get the page to come up eventually sometimes it works fine other times it dosent and even other times it semi works by that the page will "kinda" load say its done but all graphics will not be loaded. all this can happen in a short period of time its hit or miss when im going to be able to view my web page from off site. donsent deem to be any rhym or rythem to this anymone else expierencing trouble like this (not being able to view there web page from off site easily then other times its ok?)
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Jay12482001 said:

I am having an issue similar to this when away from the house (off site) i have trouble connecting to the WHS web page be that http or https dosent really matter both exhibit the same problem at my house. If i keep trying i can get the page to come up eventually sometimes it works fine other times it dosent and even other times it semi works by that the page will "kinda" load say its done but all graphics will not be loaded. all this can happen in a short period of time its hit or miss when im going to be able to view my web page from off site. donsent deem to be any rhym or rythem to this anymone else expierencing trouble like this (not being able to view there web page from off site easily then other times its ok?)

I've never personally seen that behavior.  If you would like some assistance, you should start your own thread (and post as many details as possible).
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:40 AM
  • It looks like MS is making changes:

Windows Live Admin Center

Windows Live Custom Domains is now Windows Live Admin Center.
    We're changing the name to better reflect our features and capabilities, but don't worry, this is still where you access the same great features you did with Custom Domains. In fact, we're introducing exciting new features we think you'll really like. Thank you for understanding as we transition to our new name.

Link: https://domains.live.com/default.aspx
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Mine's working again

check it
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Unfortunately this time people seem to have had the issue for a much longer period and Warren the mod just keeps locking threads and marking them as RESOLVED even though this is clearly NOT THE CASE

Many people are also reporting these problems since the last WHS updates which seems to be a common theme right now.

I found this thread before it got LOCKED and marked as FIXED.

Again it is not fixed and even removing the last few updates does not resolve the issue.

I think there needs to be some priority put on this issue. after many hours of fruitless work i wen as far as to try the WHS power pack 3 beta in the hopes of a fix but that has left me without even local remote.

Its removal has also not restored local access.

I can still get to files on the server using explorer (not IE) but that is of little use for admin purposes.
    Do unto others before they get chance to screw you !
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:47 AM
  • If MS give me an update and it breaks my WHS i would expect FREE support to rectify the issue.

I certainly dont expect to pay to fix somthing that another person broke.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Nope nothing working here
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:51 AM