I am lost concerning backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Excuse me in advance, my ancient brain is worn out, and this is new territory. As of a couple days ago I have a network set up for my desktop and laptop.
    I added OneCare to both computers, the desktop being the main one. One care, on the desktop, shows both computers in my OneCare circle. I set it up so both will back up to an external HD at the same time.
    When I look at OneCare on the laptop it shows just the laptop. I don't know how it should be set up since the desktop shows it will be backed up with my desktop.
    Do I just ignore the settings on the laptop OneCare screen?
    Thanks, Don

Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:55 PM

Answers

• I think what you are saying is OneCare on the Hub (my desktop) only shows the "status" of all the computers in OneCare circle, each computer has to have backup settings for that individual computer.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 12:59 PM

All replies

• Only a computer you designate as a hub computer will show the status of the other computers in your One Care Circle.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:19 AM
  • I think what you are saying is OneCare on the Hub (my desktop) only shows the "status" of all the computers in OneCare circle, each computer has to have backup settings for that individual computer.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 12:59 PM
  • That is correct. That is not what I said but that's exactly what I should have said. : )
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Explanation accepted. I should have explained that in addition to my 76 year old brain is really running low on horsepower but I am setting up my first network and it has me thoroughly confused.
    Thanks

Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:22 PM
  • This is a basic guide to home networking which may help - http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/homenetworking/a/homenetguide.htm
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:32 PM