Template for custom entity? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom entity called "Listings." When I go to create a workflow, I can create an email from scratch, or use an email template. I'd rather use a template so I can use the same email more than once, but when I try to create a listing email template (from Settings/Templates) it doesn't give me that option. It only pulls up the basic system entities - account, contact, opportunity, etc.

When I am inside the workflow creation stream, there is an option that allows me to pick "listing templates" but the "new listing template" icon is grayed out.

I'm having a similar issue trying to use a mail merge template in the workflow. When I try to add a step to create a letter, I have to type the letter from scratch. Can I use mail merge templates in workflow?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

• Currently mail merge templates are not available for use in workflows.  You can have a look at the business productivity accelerator and see if the enhancement adds that feature, I'm not sure because I haven't installed it. 

If you use the workflow e-mail, you can reuse the workflow whenever you want to send an e-mail with same content.  This is similar to creating an e-mail template for reuse.  In this case, you would reuse the workflow rather than the e-mail template.

You can also have a look at this post for some other options.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by BrianSharp Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• Currently mail merge templates are not available for use in workflows.  You can have a look at the business productivity accelerator and see if the enhancement adds that feature, I'm not sure because I haven't installed it. 

If you use the workflow e-mail, you can reuse the workflow whenever you want to send an e-mail with same content.  This is similar to creating an e-mail template for reuse.  In this case, you would reuse the workflow rather than the e-mail template.

You can also have a look at this post for some other options.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by BrianSharp Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Thanks. I am using CRM Online, so it doesn't look like I can use the accelerator.

Good tip about re-using the workflow email, thanks.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:59 PM