Windows Home Server PP1 Disc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there is anywhere I can download an ISO for Windows Home Server w/ PP1 included, or is there anyway for me to slipstream PP1 to my Windows Home Server DVD like you can with Windows Client OSs and Service Packs?

Can I use the 120-Day evaluation available from microsoft, and just install it using my full license key?

Regards,
    Tim
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• There is no supported way to slipstream PP1 into an original pre-PP1 installation. You might be able to figure one out (and if you try and succeed, please post back here!), but the intent is that you simply use the original disk and then reinstall all the updates.

As for using the evaluation software, no, you won't be able to do that. There is a time bomb built into the operating system which progressively disables the server at the end of the evaluation period. This time bomb is not tied to the product key, and can't be disabled.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by foofan Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:12 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:29 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to slipstream PP1 into an original pre-PP1 installation. You might be able to figure one out (and if you try and succeed, please post back here!), but the intent is that you simply use the original disk and then reinstall all the updates.

As for using the evaluation software, no, you won't be able to do that. There is a time bomb built into the operating system which progressively disables the server at the end of the evaluation period. This time bomb is not tied to the product key, and can't be disabled.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by foofan Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:12 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Thanks Ken!

You do indeed post a lot, and it's greatly appreciated as you seem to have the "answer" post in 90% of the threads i've looked at =)
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:13 PM
  • There is a way to slipstream drivers and patches but I never tested it with PP1:

Tutorial: Slipstreaming drivers into WHS.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Proposed as answer by S_M_E Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:03 AM
    • Edited by S_M_E Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:40 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:03 AM
  • S_M_E said:

There is a way to slipstream drivers and patches but I never tested it with PP1:

Tutorial: Slipstreaming drivers into WHS.

That link has nothing to do with WHS at all (that's for firmware recommendations with Seagate drives).  You might want to refresh your link. :)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Fixed the link...

Thanks...

Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:41 AM