wireless internet problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at home and i own a fairly new computer with cable modem and I also have a wireless router.  I downloaded One Care into my computer and now i'm having trouble getting internet on my laptop and iphone because the laptop and phone is requesting a password.  When i downloaded OneCare it did not ask me to put in a password.  How Can I get my password or get my other computer and iphone connected to the internet at my home?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• I moved your post to the Secure WiFi topic folder.

If OneCare supports your wireless router and it was not secured, it offered to secure the router for you and set up a key.

Assuming that this is what happened, go to the desktop PC and follow the instructions below. 

From OneCare help:

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:

1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.

And, on the PCs you wish to add to the network:

To add a device to a newly secured wireless network, follow the instructions in the manufacturer's manual for the device. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the device.

Note

You must enter the SSID and network key to add a device.

If OneCare did not set up security on the wireless router, then you need to reset your router or find out the security settings that were configured for the router and configure the other devices to use those settings.
    -steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:29 PM