Largest hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• What is the largest hard drive size I can use on WHS 2011. Can I use GPT partition to use drives larger than 2 TB? Thanks
    Friday, November 7, 2014 6:54 PM

Answers

• If it is not for the system volume, you can use larger drives with GPT volumes.

However, you will not be able to use the server backup functionality, since that is limited to a maximum of 2 TB of data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:35 AM

All replies

• If it is not for the system volume, you can use larger drives with GPT volumes.

However, you will not be able to use the server backup functionality, since that is limited to a maximum of 2 TB of data.

Olaf

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Thank you sir. That clears it up a bit. So from what I understand the operating system must be on a MBR drive but then I can add GOT formatted drives for storage?
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Yes, this would be the recommended way to add a GPT volume to your disk. If you initialize it in disk management console, you should have the choice MBR or GPT.

On my WHS I added a 4 TB drive for holding the ever growing client backups, which is listed as Basic disk with a 3725 GB volume in disk management console.

Olaf

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Thanks, exactly what I plan to do because of your help. Greetings from Staten Island, New York City!
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:50 PM
  • If you have time I need your opinion. I have Windows Home Server installed on a 160 GB HDD right now. I just purchased two 2 TB WD Green drives. What is my best option? Can I make a RAID 0 with the 2 drives and re-install WHS on the RAID 0 array? Will it allow me to install on a partition larger than 2TB. Should I leave WHS on the 160 GB HDD and install the 2 WD Green in RAID 0 if possible? Can I have a regular boot HDD and then install data drives in RAID 0 on the same PC? I'm really in need of advice. Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:47 AM
  • If yo say Windows Home Server it is 2011, or?

TBH - I'd never use RAID 0 for something, which keeps you valuable data. You just increase your chance to loose all data by 2, since failure of one disk is enough and electromechanical beings like disks may fail at any time, if you are unlucky.

With that size you could not even perform Windows Server backup any more.

So better make the disks separate entities (eventually get rid of the 160 GB disk, if it is already as old, as the size indicates) and split the shares to the various disks - i.e. pictures, videos, documents to D: on first disk and client backups to E: on second disk).

Olaf

Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Yes it is WHS 2011. I am confused. Won't client backups include all thier library folders like pictures, music, documents etc? I have 3 computers being backed up including my own. The other two computers are my daughters and they have huge libraries. When you say put the client backup on one drive will their libraries go into the seperate library folders? I thought a client backup would include all thier libraries in the client backup. If that's the case the 2TB drive will fill again unless I can seperate everyone's libraries to one disc.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:13 PM
  • What about Stabebit Drive Pool.? Others have recommended this program to me.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Hi,you are not forced to buy a 2 TB drive - also a 4 TB disk does well in WHS 2011.

And yes, if you need more storage, you could use such 3rd party software (I never used it myself, so I cannot speak from own experience here) - at least you won't loose all your data in case one disk fails like you would with RAID 0.

Olaf

Friday, November 28, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Thanks. I twice tried to use a 3 TB drive but had formatting problems. I was able t initialize GPT but when I went to format it I got I/O errors and after a while cyclic redundancy errors. I then tried checking the software with the companies hard drive software and it would not read the drive on the Western Digital Green. The other drive was a Seagate and while thier softwAre recognized the drive it showed the drive was bad so I returned it. What are the odds of 2 bad drives? Is the problem possibly with the motherboard. It was only a 4 year old Asus mother board so I'm sure it would support GPT formatting. Maybe drivers were missing?
    Friday, November 28, 2014 11:44 AM
  • You might check the used SATA controller (which hardware) and its capabilities.

The odds of two broken drives? I once had to return 3 of 5, which where DOA or after up to a few days. Also disk alignment with 4k sectors may come into play here.

Olaf

Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:59 PM