Different distances in different frames using the Excel add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I have an odd situation occurring with some very simple rectangular data in WWT, imported using the Add-In for Excel. 

I have a CSV of points in X,Y,Z, in a spherical shape, which can be downloaded from here:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4200/

All have radii between 0 and 1 and randomly distributed angles. 

If I add this data to the Sun reference frame, and choose astronomical units as the length scale, I get what I expect, namely a sphere of points centered on the Sun with a radius that fits inside the Earth's orbit:

However, if I take this same data and add it in to the Sky frame in the exact same way using Excel, all of the points are at very large distances from the Sun, and the radius of this sphere is much larger than 1 AU:

For what it's worth, I also used the LCAPI to send the data to a layer I created directly (without using Excel), and the same thing happened, so I don't think it's a bug with the Excel add-in. 

Am I missing something that could cause this? 

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:13 AM

All replies

• Just a follow-up... I found that if I convert my points to spherical coordinates I'm able to get the correct length scales regardless of what frame I'm in. 

So I don't know what's causing the issue with the rectangular coordinates, but this is a satisfactory work-around. 

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:08 AM