(2) The target machine I'm trying to restore is Windows XP Professional
    (3) I put in the same size hard drive
    (4) I put the drivers from the backup of the XP machine on a USB
    (5) I booted from the restore disk
    (6) The restore software accepted my USB and then continued
    (7) It saw my WHS server, and asked me for the password
    (8) I entered the password and then saw the list of my backups
    (9) I chose a backup and then started the restore
    (10) Immediately I received the error message, "An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore

Is there a fix for this?

Regards,

Rich Locus

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:20 PM

Answers

• I also had the "unknown network error" message stop me from restoring.  The reason it's tricky to solve is because it's wasn't a network error at all (thank you MS for the subterfuge).

I was restoring 64-bit Windows 7 from WHS ver 1.I had to load my NIC drivers from a USB stick (32-bit of course).  

The network clearly was ok, because I was able to find the server, find the backup set I wanted, and I chose the Automatic restore option.

Started the restore but seconds after, I got the unknown network error. 

Upon re-starting the process I chose to manually handle the partitions: start Disk Manager, delete all partitions and re-create them exactly as they were (Size, Type - name is not important).

Restore worked great after that.  I believe the unknown network error was an unknown partition error.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Friday, November 8, 2013 6:35 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• Problem solved:

All I had to do was reboot my router and switch, and the problem went away.

Regards,

Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:55 PM
  • I also had the "unknown network error" message stop me from restoring.  The reason it's tricky to solve is because it's wasn't a network error at all (thank you MS for the subterfuge).

I was restoring 64-bit Windows 7 from WHS ver 1.I had to load my NIC drivers from a USB stick (32-bit of course).  

The network clearly was ok, because I was able to find the server, find the backup set I wanted, and I chose the Automatic restore option.

Started the restore but seconds after, I got the unknown network error. 

Upon re-starting the process I chose to manually handle the partitions: start Disk Manager, delete all partitions and re-create them exactly as they were (Size, Type - name is not important).

Restore worked great after that.  I believe the unknown network error was an unknown partition error.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Friday, November 8, 2013 6:35 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hello Cybergy:

You discovered the answer!!  I also had to manually do a partition format of the disk.  The error message is completely erroneous.  I'm giving you the credit for the answer.

Regards,

Rich Locus

Friday, November 8, 2013 6:35 PM