Backup computer away from home? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway for a computer to phone home and automatically back itself up?  I understand the remote access folders, but need something more automated for my sometimes brainless teenage daughter :)

She's going away to college and is unlikely to manually load her files on to the server... that is until she loses a critical paper(s?).
    Friday, June 19, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• If you will search in the forums for the keywords hamachi and backup, you'll find the information that's available. Getting it to work in your environment is potentially not going to be easy; this is no supported, and there are some significant potential obstacles. Performance is also potentially lacking; it may take many times longer to back a computer up over a VPN connection.

In addition, you will not be able to restore the computer remotely. The easiest way of achieving a restore is to buy a new hard drive for the laptop, connect it to a PC locally, and use C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe to restore to the new disk. Then ship the disk to your daughter for her to install.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• If you will search in the forums for the keywords hamachi and backup, you'll find the information that's available. Getting it to work in your environment is potentially not going to be easy; this is no supported, and there are some significant potential obstacles. Performance is also potentially lacking; it may take many times longer to back a computer up over a VPN connection.

In addition, you will not be able to restore the computer remotely. The easiest way of achieving a restore is to buy a new hard drive for the laptop, connect it to a PC locally, and use C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe to restore to the new disk. Then ship the disk to your daughter for her to install.

Friday, June 19, 2009 7:00 PM
  • One solution is to get an external drive to back-up the computer if it can't be easily done via VPN.  The one I like is the Seagate FreeAgent Go ST905003FGA2E1-RK with a docking station.  It's nothing more than a 500 GB laptop drive that includes software to do daily back-ups.  The computer can be backed-up with WHS when it gets back home, but, until then this gives some form of duplication.

Friday, June 19, 2009 10:19 PM
  • If you will search in the forums for the keywords hamachi and backup , you'll find the information that's available. Getting it to work in your environment is potentially not going to be easy; this is no supported, and there are some significant potential obstacles. Performance is also potentially lacking; it may take many times longer to back a computer up over a VPN connection.

Thank you...  If I could get her to feed documents to the homeserver, she'd at least have a duplicate copy... But I doubt she'd do that, or even plug in a remote drive.  Funny side story, I suggested waiting until Sunday night to print out a class project was a bad idea.  Even though I keep spare print cartridges on hand, I don't keep multiple spares on hand... and the inevitable happened, the replacement failed, LOL.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Linksys/Cisco makes a small-business type of router which includes VPN access. It's something like R4500 or something, forgot the name. Maybe $200, can't remember.

1. Connect that new box to your home router and configure.
    2. Then, on your main router, forward port 1723 to the new Linksys/Cisco box.
    3. On the laptop, add a VPN connection to your home network and connect to home network.
    4. On the laptop, download the connector software (e.g. net use \\hp-winhmserver\Software /user:blahblah)

Whenever you would like a backup, have your daughter connect the VPN ... or optionally, setup a scheduled task to auto-kick-off the backup several nights a week and tell your daughter to leave your computer on one of those nights.

This has worked fine for me in two separate solutions with my family, one in Charleston with Comcastic, and another with in Richmond with FIOS. Backups err out about 1 out of every 5-10 times due to timeouts. It will take 45 minutes to 2 hours to backup. Other than that, no problems.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:42 PM