none
hijack of hotmail address book RRS feed

• Question

• hi this is the second time in two months that my address book has been hijacked for aplle i-pod advertising. It is very embarrasing to send this to respected work collegues. It needs to stop - how do I stop it? Everyone in my address book was send an email telling them I had bought an i-pod. See below: Inever!!! wrote this!!!
    On 15/03/2010, at 7:03 AM, heike marianne stock wrote:

Hey
    How are you going? ,I  ordered a white 3GS Apple Iphone  from a good website      www.yolebay.com   , much cheaper but brand new ,agenuine , You can check it if you would like.
    Cheer

If it exists, you'll find it on SEEK Want to be a Space Travel Agent?
    The first time it sloked more genuinely for apple - please help me to stop this!!
    Thank you.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 5:04 AM

Answers

• This also happened to me over the weekend, with the same type of e-mail message. My hotmail account was compromised and all contacts had been deleted. I ran multiple different virus and malware scans and found nothing. Out of every report I read of people getting hit by this hijack over the last three months nobody has ever been able to find a local infection of their computer.

Quick questions:

Had you changed your password since last time?

Did you scan your computer for anything or even format since the first hijack?

Do you run msn in your application tray (I am starting to wonder if someone is spoofing live ID)?

Did they get in to your account again and delete your contacts?

Was the e-mails sent from your account or they just reused your address book they got last time?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• This also happened to me over the weekend, with the same type of e-mail message. My hotmail account was compromised and all contacts had been deleted. I ran multiple different virus and malware scans and found nothing. Out of every report I read of people getting hit by this hijack over the last three months nobody has ever been able to find a local infection of their computer.

Quick questions:

Had you changed your password since last time?

Did you scan your computer for anything or even format since the first hijack?

Do you run msn in your application tray (I am starting to wonder if someone is spoofing live ID)?

Did they get in to your account again and delete your contacts?

Was the e-mails sent from your account or they just reused your address book they got last time?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi there

Thank you very much for your help.

To anser your questions - which I feel embarrassed doing -

NO, I have not done many of the things you suggested might be helpful.

I had not changed my password after the first hijack - I now know it was a weak password  and I changed it now.

I had my computer scanned after this second attack by a computer shop and they found nothing.

I never use msn. Although occasionally I log into my e-mail account twice at the same time and an msn message comes up to tell me I am logged in at two places.

My contacts were not deleted, luckily.

I assume the hijacker went to my e-mails again and did not take the list from last time. I believe this because last time I had many invaild e-mail addresses in my address book and I had consequently many returned - as undeliverable. I delete most undeliverable, so this time I only got a few underliverable address notifications, so I blieve they got the new address book.

Cheers and thanks again.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:15 AM