none
SyncToy 1.4 or 2.0 or Windows Live Sync? Which to Use? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used SyncToy 1.x for many months and have found it to be very useful.  However, lately I have noticed problems with it in syncing files from my client machine to my Windows Home Server (WHS) machine.  For instance, I am using the Contribute method to move files from my left folder (the client) to my right folder (a target folder on the Server) and I have found cases where new files created in the left folder are NOT copied to the right folder.  As I understand it Contribute should copy those new files left to right.

Now, I have considered moving to SyncToy 2.0 in hopes that the development effort going on for V2.0 is more active and the problem is fixed in V2.0, but I have, so far, not done that because of problems I have heard about in V2, particularly as that product relates to WHS.  I know the recent release of Power Pack 1 on WHS has fixed the data corruption bug on WHS and opens up the use of SyncToy V2 from that point of view.  But I have heard rumors that even beyound the data corruption issues that are now resolved, that SyncToy V2 sitll has issues working correctly with WHS and should be avoided.

Here is my question.  Since I have concerns about V1 and V2 of SyncToy and in light of the the recent announcement of Windows Live Sync replacing Folder Share and subsequent dropping of Folder Share from the list of Microsoft Sync products,  should I consider moving to Windows Live Sync for my sync requirements?   Or.... is my concern for using SyncToy V2 with WHS Share Foldres unfounded?

I have used SyncToy V1.x and like it so I hate to "give it up" for an unknown (and unproven) alternative like Windows Live Sync.  But with SyncToy V1.4.0.0 acting up the way it is doing using the Contibute option, and with all the roumors out there about V2.0 not playing well with WHS, I seem to have few options left.

Comments?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

• Any thoughts or suggestions about a better place to post this inquiry?

Friday, December 5, 2008 3:20 AM
  • Windows live sync stopped supporting a mapped/redirected 'my documents' folder, so unless you want to install live sync on your home server, synctoy is the way to go.  This just changed recently in the 'upgrade' from foldershare to live sync. 

Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:56 PM
  •  J Jas 2 wrote:
    Windows live sync stopped supporting a mapped/redirected 'my documents' folder, so unless you want to install live sync on your home server, synctoy is the way to go.  This just changed recently in the 'upgrade' from foldershare to live sync. 

J Jas 2,

Thanks for the reply.  I get notice of replies to this thread via hotmail and I don't check my Hotmail email account often. Sorry for the dealy. 

Have you heard of problems with Sync Toy 2.0 not playing nicely with Windows Home Server?  I am not referring to the data corruption bug but messing up files in some other way?

Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:51 PM